Water heater is leaking from top

Old 06-03-19, 07:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water heater is leaking from top

Hello everyone,

I have a Ruud pacemaker ph40 gas-powered water heater. I noticed that the water is leaking from the top of the heater. Please see the attached picture. The water is leaking from a bolt-like valve (pressure relief plug?) The leak is not that bad, but it is still leaking like one drop of a water at three-second. I tried looking at Ruud's manual, but couldn't find the label of that component.

Any idea on what the problem is, and hopefully how I can fix it would be very appreciated!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-19, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
That is probably the anode. It can be replaced but... it may be a good time to look for a new water heater.

The cheap option is to replace the anode or at least remove the plug and see if re-taping and re-installing will stop the leak. If it works your in luck but something has corroded to cause the leak to start so even after replacing the anode it might not stop the leak... which has you shopping for a new heater.

Old 06-03-19, 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot for identifying the component and suggesting a "possible" fix! The heater is already 18 years old, so I won't be surprised if it turns out that the heater is gone! But surely I will give it a try and will reinstall/replace the anode first to see what happens.

Old 06-04-19, 06:35 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
To get it out the best way is with a compressor and an impact gun.

Old 06-04-19, 06:42 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
The pipe connections are likely places for hot water tanks to start rusting out because the glass lining ends there.

Don't be surprised if, while you are trying to unscrew the anode, the tank tears open at the anode socket.

Old 06-11-19, 02:28 PM
Thank you all for all of your comments.... As many had predicted, the inner tank is completely rusted, and replacing the anode rod just opened more wounds and the leak became even worse! So time for a new unit!