AO Smith Pilot, but no burner

Old 09-04-19, 08:33 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question AO Smith Pilot, but no burner

Hello folks, I woke up to a cold shower, after that I checked my water heater and saw my burner was not lit. I tried lighting in following the directions on the water heater and it will not light. After peeking through the little window, I see the pilot is lighting, but once I remove my finger from the pilot button, it goes right out and the burner never ignites.

It's a AO Smith model GCVL 40 100.

Does anyone have experience with this type of issue and was able to get it resolved without calling a plumber?

Thanks!

Old 09-04-19, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Those water heaters do get their share of problems. The thread link below is about other problems those waters get and how to clean them to reduce problems.

In your case it sounds like the thermocouple has gone bad. it sits in the flame and supplies power once lit to keep the gas valve open. I believe there is a thermal fuse in that line. That means the thermal fuse may have opened also causing the pilot to not stay lit. The overheating problems are addressed in the thread below. How old is this water heater ? It may be time to replace it if over 10 years old.

At approx 7:00 .... thermocouples are discussed...... youtube.com/watch?v=k44E0Oas580

A-O-smith-promax-water-heater-pilot-light-issues.

Old 09-04-19, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Its a series 100 with a corderite disk. They get clogged and starve for air. Yes on the thermocouple there is a thermistor. When it over heats it will not let you light it until it cools..

With a clogged disk you can have draft issues and CO released in the home..

I know the heater is maybe 2007 and earlier..

Cut your loses and replace the heater. You'll just be throwing money away at it to try to get it to function.

Also when I was doing these ao smith was sending us a thermocouple with a 200c limit instead of the 180c thermo couples that came with the unit new..

hers one of may threads regarding this..

Again... cut your losses.. Replace..

A.O. Smith Water Heater won't stay on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: