Overpressurizing and calcium build up

Old 09-14-19, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overpressurizing and calcium build up

Hi guys,

I've been in my house for about a year now. Ever since we've been in the house, our water heater has made popping and cracking noise when it heats up. The water heater was installed about 2.5 years ago. After some investigating we noticed some significant calcium deposits on the bottom. We went ahead and cleaned it out as best we can but the amount of sediment built up was astounding, especially given that it's fairly new. We never could get everything out but figured some cleaning was better than none. The knocking lessened at first but returned to the usual levels a month or two later. We also started noticing the pressure valve leaking while it was heating - not a lot but enough to notice.

We just replaced the valve and it continues to leak when it heats up. I took some pictures inside the tank while I was replacing the valve and wondering if anyone knows what the heck is going on inside this thing. Is this just a ton of sediment build up?

I had the water analyzed - not particularly hard, so that isnt the issue. Any ideas? Were leaning towards replacing it but rather figure out what caused this in the first place. We have a rheem classic 40 gallon

See pics attached from inside the heater, at the top of the tank, where the pressure relief valve goes

​https://imgur.com/fFerEsB

​​​​​​

https://imgur.com/b1RCruj

Https://imgur.com/UzpJ7RX

Last edited by RVBraq; 09-14-19 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-19, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Kettling usually only occurs on gas fired water heaters but yours doesn't look like one.

You may not have particularly hard water but there does seem to be a lot of minerals in it.
Is this city water ?

Old 09-14-19, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
"We just replaced the valve..." Which valve did you replace? Did you replace the T&P valve?

Are you on municipal water or a well?

Do you have an expansion tank installed somewhere near the water heater?

Old 09-14-19, 04:57 PM
It is a gas water heater. Were in the suburbs in NJ so municipal water.

We replaced the pressure release valve at the top of the tank. No expansion tank

Old 09-15-19, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
If you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) or check valve leading to your house you may need an expansion tank installed near the water heater.

Cold water enters from the city. When it gets heated in the water heater it expands. If there is a check valve or PRV that expanding water cannot push back into the municipal water supply. It is trapped in your house's piping and the pressure rises. Often this manifests itself as a dripping temp & pressure (T&P) valve on the water heater. A small pressure/expansion tank installed near the water heater gives that expanding water somewhere to safely go.

Furd voted this post useful.
Old 09-15-19, 10:19 AM
Would that help with the really high amount if sediment build up?