Gas water heater leaking from bottom

Old 10-12-19, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas water heater leaking from bottom

I think I kind of have an idea that might be the water heater is done coz it was installed in 2005, but really someone start living there since 2008
Few days ago, I notice that there were no hot water, I went to check and notice that the heather pilot was not on. so I light that up, its almost 3 days since and pilot is still ON, and I get my hot water back, but I noticed that there is water in the bottom try, when I empty that out, the water came back in an hour to fill up the tray (the tray does have a drain pipe, so it doesn't over flow).

When I light up the pilot I realize that the water was dripping from the bottom.

https://imgur.com/a/Ounjqm5
I think I need to replace that and this forum is very helpful to me in the past, so I thought to post the pictures and see what other says about it.
I am thinking to do that on my own, this is the first time I am replacing the water heater.

Getting the similar one from lowes tomorrow, it AO Smith 74 gallon.

Name:  wh1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  16.6 KB

Name:  wh2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  wh3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  wh4.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  wh5.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  13.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-12-19 at 10:02 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-19, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Many times it's not the tank leaking. It's one of the hot or cold connections and it's running down thru the tank. You should be able to see water on top of the tank if the connections were the problem.

14 Years on a water heater are pretty good.
74 gallon is a monster water heater. Why so big ?

shyboy voted this post useful.
Old 10-12-19, 05:48 PM
Thank you for your quick response.
if you meant by the connector that are on the top, I don't see any leak there. the water drops dripping around the burner area.
I can see that the bottom around burner area is quite rusty as well

Old 10-12-19, 05:52 PM
why so big?
we are 5 adults.
I am also thinking to maybe try the 50 gallons, which I can get for $550 compare to 74 gallon for $1200

I am not sure that if the current fitting will fit for the smaller 50 gallon, I was going for the same model so at least that gives me peace of mind that I just have to unhook and re-hook.

Old 10-12-19, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
The 74 gallon is good for spa or large bathtub fills. Usually 5 adults won't all be bathing at one time so a 50 gallon would have plenty of fast recovery. If you had an electric water heater.... then you need to go larger for reserve capacity. If this is a B&B then you also need a larger heater for reserve.

You posted the pictures after my first reply. They're good. They show problems.....
1) In your first picture..... the top seam is rusted. That means a water leak up top.
2) Very interesting gas tap off in the second picture.
3) In the third picture it appears you have CPVC pipe. That pressure tank has caused the pipe to bend at a severe angle and the fitting into the tank is also on a severe angle. That pressure tank may be full of water and if so is very heavy and will need to be replaced. That will also need to be better supported when you change the water heater.
4) Keep all combustibles away from the exhaust pipe.

Old 10-13-19, 06:04 AM
Thank you once again for your reply.
what is B&B? This is a big house maybe that’s why builder put the bigger water heater.

so top is rusted and leaking from the top, is that mean it is repairable?

i will be using the same copper pipe fitting on the pressure tank side and will replace the copper pipe to a flex pipe on the other end. Is that sounds good?

how about chimney round diameter, do I need to modify that if I go from 74 gallons to 40?

i m in northern Virginia area, in prince William county, do I need to worry about water pressure?

Old 10-13-19, 09:41 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I would guess that the union at the cold water inlet to the heater is where the leak is.

Old 10-13-19, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
B&B = bed and breakfast.... an Inn.
If the leak was at the top it could possibly be fixed but at 14 years old it's time for a replacement.
You need to measure the size of the exhaust vent. The 40-50 gallon will use 4".

Look at the third picture. Do you see the pressure tank hanging way off on an angle ?
That is a problem. I'm just guessing the pressure tank is full of water but it makes sense.

Old 10-13-19, 01:17 PM
Is it worth just to check by replacing the pressure tank only and see if it works?

Old 10-13-19, 01:22 PM
Is there a way to empty the pressure tank or that needs to be replaced?

Do I need to put a new pressure tank for 50 gallons as well?

Old 10-13-19, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
A pressure tank is added to a water heating system where there is a whole house pressure regulator or check valve in place. If the unit is defective where it has lost it's charge and is full of water... it would need to be replaced. The pressure tank won't be causing your current leak problem.... unless it was due to the weight.

Old 10-13-19, 05:43 PM
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
Unless you see water on top of the water heater, it is most likely the tank it self leaking. There really is no fix for this other than replacing water heater.
That thermal expansion tank (blue tank) should been supported. Especially when installed with union like that. It cannot handle that much weight off to one side.

FYI. You cannot get standard 74 gallon natural draft vent water heater (the one you have) any more.
There is 74 gallon high recovery natural draft water heater or power vent water heater. The reason why it cost more than a double.

You can install 50 gallon water heater, set temperature higher and install a mixing valve to bring the temperature lower by mixing very hot water with cold water.
That way you get same amount of hot water from smaller tank.

Old 10-19-19, 09:15 AM
Thanks everyone who replied for your help.

Just to give you guys an update on how this end up.
when I was unhooking the the pressure tank I loosen the connector where the copper connects to pvc (see pic 3 the top joint), and it start leaking from there, and that forced me to shutdown the whole house water supply.
I also noticed that the water heater connector are small and my present connections were big, so that needs to be adjusted before I able to hook that up.
I also noticed that the gas line connector height was kind of up and heater connector were not completely align with it.

All these things made me very nervous and since there were no water in the house and I had kind of urgency too, it left me no choice but to call the technician.
He charged me $200 but after watching what he did, I do understand that I should be able to get that done myself.

posting few pictures of how terrible work he did.

Attached Images