Hybrid water heater

Old 10-18-19, 08:59 AM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
Hybrid water heater

The house we are renting has a fairly new State Premier 50 gal heat pump hot water heater. It has 3 operating modes - Efficient (heat pump only), Hybrid and Electric. It is currently set to the hybrid mode. According to the literature it should switch automatically to conventional electric when demand exceeds the heat pump's capability.

I don't think it is switching to electric. The water starts out very hot but after running the dishwasher and clothes washer it is not hot enough to shower. We have a conventional electric 50 gal in our home and have never run out of hot water.

Is there any way to check or change the set point where the unit switches from heat pump to electric?

Another question - how efficient is the heat pump mode in colder areas of the country? Are they worth the 3X cost of an electric HW heater?

Old 10-27-19, 06:58 AM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
I have a different brand but similar settings. You probably need to run it all electric then. From what I have read the heat pump mode is most efficient but mainly uses surrounding air to heat your water. Hybrid mode will use a mix of the heat pump and electric. Mine says it can provide enough heat for 5 showers of 8 minutes then you run out of hot water. You probably need to run mainly electric or you would need the model with the larger tank.

Old 10-30-19, 10:19 AM
Received 111 Votes on 98 Posts
Call your landlord. ................

Old 10-30-19, 12:10 PM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
Did that. She is clueless. That's why I came here.

Old 10-30-19, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,530 Votes on 1,413 Posts
There doesn't seem to be much adjustable in that unit. Other than setting the function you can set the operating temperature. I'd expect to see more settings where based on incoming water temp would shift to electric quicker. The electric elements may even be smaller in that unit than in a dedicated electric water heater. The element wattage is on the ID tag.

Hybrid operators manual (pdf)

Old 11-03-19, 08:38 PM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
To really take advantage of heat pump mode you need a warm surrounding area which the water heater uses to heat the water. That's why they recommend hybrid mode to heat more water faster if needed. I live in Fl and my garage never gets that cold so I keep it on heat pump. If I have guests I'll switch to hybrid a bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: