water heater blankets?

Old 11-04-19, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water heater blankets?

Are water heater blankets worth it?
I have a water heater that sits in a, I guess you could call it a half outside inside basement. The basement ceiling is below an outside deck, waterproofed and will have insulation, but it has a small square hole in the foundation wall that leads to the inside of the house crawl space .
It is heated but I'm wondering if a water heater blanket would help? I know trhe heaters already have insulation on the inside...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-19, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
Yes, a blanket will help. Is it worth it???

A blanket has bigger benefit the more poorly your water heater is insulated. If you add a blanket with R-1 to a cheap heater that has R-4 insulation that's a 25% increase. Probably worth it. If you put that same blanket on a premium, energy efficient heater that comes from the factory with R-15 then the blanket is only a 6% improvement and it might not be worth your troubles. Either way, adding a blanket will help.

Most water heater blankets are pretty thin so you could do better if you make your own blanket with house insulation having a decent R value. You could enclose and insulate the space where the heater is located. That would make the heater more efficient and could have the benefit of protecting the pipes from freezing.

Old 11-04-19, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I don't know what year but water heater manufactures started adding more insulation a long time ago. I doubt there are many water heaters still in use that don't have much insulation. Several yrs ago I replaced our old 52 gallon water heater with a 40 gallon unit. Same brand but the exterior dimensions are almost the same. It's been a long time since I heard of anyone using a water heater blanket.

Old 11-04-19, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
The theory behind a water heater blanket sounds good but you live in a climate where more than half a year is heating season.
Do the math.
The water heater blanket would only make the crawlspace heater take up the slack.

Old 11-04-19, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's not a full crawl space heater, it;'s just in that one room (sort of like an outside basement).
Just wondering if I could heat it less but the blanket would keep the water heaters from losing heat.
Not sure how much R they have. Both recent Giant brands.

Old 11-05-19, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
The point is that all resistance base electric heaters (which both the hw tank and space heater are) are 100% efficient.
If ANY of the heat from the space heater is getting to the space the hw tank is in, during heating season there will be zero savings in increasing the insulation value of the hw tank insulation.
If the space is heated by a source that is considerably less expensive that electric heat then the small savings would be the difference between the heat sources.

This is the same concept as the false power consumption savings reported between LED and incandescent bulbs in cold climates.
LED lighting is all around superior to a flaming filament but in climates where a space is heated electrically there is zero power savings during heating season.

Old 11-05-19, 06:04 AM
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
There are too many variables here to definitely say what if any savings you would get.

I have a insulation blanket around the top half of my tank. It is there just because I had it so might as well use it.
I do not feel much warmth under it so doubt it is doing much if anything. My tank is about 5 years old and not top of the line.

I think you would be better off insulating the hot water pipes if they are not already insulated.

Old 11-05-19, 11:46 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I don't know what year but water heater manufactures started adding more insulation a long time ago.
The latest efficiency standards for water heaters in the U.S. became effective April 16, 2015.

https://www.fastwaterheater.com/wate...ter-standards/