Max ignition attemps.

Old 12-26-19, 05:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Max ignition attemps.

Richmond/Rheem 6G40PVW-40F

Intellivent AP13845A

I'll occasionally find the code lights on, reading the error for "maximum amount of ignition attempts has been reached and is in lockout".

I say occasionally because it works fine 90% of the time.

When I see the lights on, I can turn it off then back on and be in business.
If I stand there and watch it, it will go through the sequence without fail.

HSI glow > gas > light > off when up to temp.

I took out the burner and gave everything a visual inspection and cleaned the flame sensor while I was there.

Up top the vacuum tube is in perfect shape not cracked broken or blocked.

I really hate intermittent problems

Old 12-26-19, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
You would need to test the flame sensor to make sure its within the ohms specs.

Also the fan pressure switch can fail to pull in. There is a lot of criteria. Fan may be getting weaker which is normal as the units age.

But also what size flue pipe and distance play a roll, how many elbows and what not. Distance. etc

Then there is the wire harness. I have seen some be sporadic and fail due to being pinched inside the jacket.

And last the gas valve itself may have an issue Rare.

What is the Serial #?

Old 12-27-19, 09:40 AM
R
Originally Posted by lawrosa
You would need to test the flame sensor to make sure its within the ohms specs.

Also the fan pressure switch can fail to pull in. There is a lot of criteria. Fan may be getting weaker which is normal as the units age.

But also what size flue pipe and distance play a roll, how many elbows and what not. Distance. etc

Then there is the wire harness. I have seen some be sporadic and fail due to being pinched inside the jacket.

And last the gas valve itself may have an issue Rare.

What is the Serial #?

Odd thing yesterday. Went to check on it and the code lights were on so I turned it off and then on and it cleared and went back into ready state, but it didn't attempt to turn on. To get the lockout code it has to at least try to start so that was really odd.

Serial# RMLN0310545084

EDIT: More info!

As luck would have it, after flushing it today, It acted up right in front of my eyes

It goes through the steps and just as it's about to open the valve, you can hear a very faint click, as if the gas valve is opening. The HSI stops glowing and the sequence starts all over.

This click is far fainter than the usual louder click when the gas valve opens and lets gas in.

Last edited by RealRob; 12-27-19 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 07:44 AM
J
I'm having the same issue.

My serial number is RLP1191D06284.
One other thing that mine does is the exhaust fan constantly runs with no flame. If I turn it off for about 5 minutes and then turn back on it will ignite but only runs for about 5 minutes and the fan continues to run.
Any help would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: