Work on water heater did not fix problem

Old 02-16-20, 02:51 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Work on water heater did not fix problem

I had a new water heater put in my home in early August, 2019, due to old one leaking. The old one was hooked up to a solar water heater that I do not use. The plumber put in the new water heater and attached it with the pipe contraption (possibly mixing valve) to the solar water heater. Few showers are taken at my house at the same time, but in 11/19 we found that we could really only get one shower without the water going cold. The plumber came and checked the new water heater elements, water level, temperature, etc. and could not find the problem. He left and consulted his boss. He came back on a different day and said they thought they figured out the problem and removed the mixer valve and capped it off and unhooked solar tank and drained it. They hooked up only the new electric water heater to the house water. A couple weeks later, we tried to do two showers at the same time and both ended up with a cold shower at the end. The plumbing boss came and just turned up the temperature and then we got hot water......did have to turn it down ourselves due to it being too hot when the water was turned way up and we were afraid of scalding. We now get 30 minutes of shower time. The problem is, that we were billed $100 for the first service call and then $275 for labor and $32.79 for parts for the second visit (remove mixing valve, capped off, drain tank, hook up new heater to house water), and then was told that the last visit (which actually fixed the problem) was free because of the warranty. I have expressed my concern to the secretary twice and was ignored the first time and then they reduced the bill by $107.79. I still do not think I should have to pay for the work that did not fix anything......and if I sell the house down the road or choose to use the solar heater/panels again, will have to pay to get it hooked up. Any ideas or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by LPT57; 02-16-20 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-16-20, 03:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
I think their pricing is fair. You are asking someone to work on a non standard system not designed or installed by them. Basically a bug hunt. It's not a simple or clear cut "fix my water heater" issue.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 02-16-20, 03:43 PM
L
Thank you....do you think they should have tried turning up the temperature before doing all the other removal of piping and capping off?

Old 02-16-20, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,121 Upvotes on 3,701 Posts
The plumbing boss came and just turned up the temperature and then we got hot water......did have to turn it down ourselves due to it being too hot when the water was turned way up and we were afraid of scalding.
So what are you asking ?
You said they turned the temperature up and you turned it down.

You need to be very careful with setting the temperature in a water heater. Scalding is an issue.

Old 02-16-20, 10:00 PM
L
I am wondering if I should be charged for the first two visits when the fix was just turning up the temperature, a visit that I was told was under warranty and I was not billed for. We did research online to find out that the temp was maybe too hot, especially for our young grandson when he visits and turns on the water himself. Thank you.

Old 02-17-20, 05:43 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
If you called them and they responded and came out you should expect to be charged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: