Water heater safety check

Old 03-30-20, 07:04 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water heater safety check

Hello all,

I tried replying to this thread:
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/w...r-lockout.html

But it seems I cannot as it now appears to be locked, despite having a post in the past 30 days (if I understand correctly).

We are having trouble with this same heater. We actually had the valve go out in January with the four-blinks-of-doom, and had a repair person take several hours to repair and replace it with a new one from Lowe's.

It was quite the hassle, and wouldn't you know it, it went out AGAIN last night with the same four-blinks-of-doom, but only this time DURING A PANDEMIC. :P We live in Michigan where there is currently a state-wide lockdown, so you could say that my morning has been interesting in trying to figure out a remedy.

Anyways, I wanted to see if I understood this secret reset process correctly before attempting it as I am a total newb with such matters and would prefer not to blow up the house accidentally:

1) Turn off unit.
2) Turn off gas.
3) Wait 2-3 minutes (3 minutes just to be safe).
4) Turn on unit
5) Turn the knob from VAC to VERY HOT and then back to VAC
6) Do the above 9 more times, for a total of 10.
7) If clicking/igniting sound is heard, turn on gas.

Do I have this understood correctly? Any pointers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As you could imagine, being forced to sit through a stay-at-home order without any hot water is about as appealing as the thought of having someone visit your home during a pandemic.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-20, 07:33 AM
M
The other frustrating aspect here is that the model for the controller is very scarce with online searches. We are using a WV6242B1114 controller and I have yet to see it in any of the videos or resources online. Attached are some pictures of this bad boy.

Old 03-30-20, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 733 Votes on 688 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The thread was closed because it gets confusing with several different posters and problems.
There is a storage capacitor on the valve board that stays charged for quite a while. As far as I know there is no manufacture released reset process other than replacing the valve. The method you describe may discharge that capacitor causing the valve to reset.

Old 03-31-20, 01:48 AM
M
Awesome, thank you for the reply and explanation @PJMax ... in my case it turns out I have the exact heater and everything as the original poster of the former thread states, so it would be neat to tag/notify users there to maximize awareness with my "fam".

But I totally understand your reasoning. Thanks again for taking the time to explain.

In our case, we're going to bite the bullet during the early phase of the zombie apocalypse here and pray the serviceperson is wearing appropriate protective gear. They were able to schedule something for this morning, which is fast, considering.

I am not hopeful, however. My hunch is that they will take a look at this thing and see that it has to be replaced, not having a unit to replace it with and then see if they can order said replacement, which might take up to a week. If that occurs I will attempt the above in the meantime to see if we can strike some luck.

I might actually try to attempt the above in the meantime anyway to see if there's any luck to be had before they arrive. Waiting for the coffee to kick in. :P

Will update here in any case.

Old 03-31-20, 02:42 AM
M
OK I braved myself up and got to 6 revolutions when a buzzing started to occur with the unit and its status light went on and did not turn off. That sort of freaked me out so I turned it off for the moment.

Old 03-31-20, 02:56 AM
M
WE HAVE FIRE ... and at the moment it is contained. 😁

It appears to be blinking like a heartbeat which seems to signal "call for heat"... however the light never goes fully off which is tripping me out a bit.

Anyways, I will keep an eye on it. Fire extinguisher is nearby. :P

Old 03-31-20, 03:20 AM
M
Well now we have a little conundrum... the heartbeat seems to suggest all is working well, but it usually flashes 1-per-second. Maybe that is after the water heats up? Father (owner) is saying to turn it off, but I am thinking the heartbeat means it's working as expected.

Old 03-31-20, 04:35 AM
M
OK I can confirm my above hunch was right: Heartbeat (slightly on all the time with a pulsing flash) is while the tank is heating, and then after it reaches target temperature it sets back into 1 flash per 3 seconds.

Woohoo! So relieved. Now we have the unfortunate problem of the service personnel getting here @ 8am and that is when the phone line is open, so not sure if we can cancel in time. Small potatoes though to having no hot water.

Thanks again for @PJmax for getting the confirmation down and setting me on my way here.

Old 03-31-20, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 733 Votes on 688 Posts
Good to hear all is ok. I linked from the other thread to this one.

Old 03-31-20, 05:05 PM
Received 60 Votes on 51 Posts
had a repair person take several hours to repair and replace it with a new one from Lowe's.
Repaired the Whirlpool water heater? Replaced the Honeywell gas valve? Or was the water heater replaced?

Old 04-06-20, 01:17 AM
M
Hi CasualJoe I cannot edit the post any longer but to clarify it was the valve controller both times that was the issue, not the water heater itself. The controller is what was replaced by a technician sent from Lowe's (based on a contract I am assuming) and then the same controller "broke" again with the same code. I am pretty sure we could have reset the controller the first time if we knew of the secret squirrel handshake, but alas.

The water heater was purchased in Jan 2014 and it was never drained properly since then. I am pretty sure that's the problem here, we've added that to the "todo" maintenance list here in hopes that it will better take care of the sediment that is most likely causing the issue. We've also taken the heat down a notch, sitting between "Hot" and "Low" for added precaution. We're hoping that will be enough to keep the bad luck away on this sucker until the next big purchase. 🤞

Old 04-06-20, 05:30 PM
Received 60 Votes on 51 Posts
The water heater was purchased in Jan 2014
Considering that you are working with Lowes, the purchase date pretty well pegs this as a Whirlpool branded water heater from American Water Heater. If it is working fine for now than you are good, but I wouldn't expect it to last terribly long. There is a reason Lowes dropped the Whirlpool branded water heaters and you are in the midst of just one of many issues they have. I'd advise setting some dollars aside now for an unexpected replacement sometime in the future.