New water heater vs. chimney liner

Old 04-29-20, 07:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New water heater vs. chimney liner

Hello,

Had a general question for the group. Last year I had a new high-efficiency furnace installed with direct vent outside the wall, replacing and old unit with atmospheric venting through the chimney. This left me with an orphaned water heater which only became known to me after a chimney inspection. They recommended to line the chimney with a new appropriately sized liner. The water heater itself is almost 10 years old and right now I'm debating on lining the chimney vs replacing the water heater with a new direct vent unit. I am leaning more towards replacing given the age of the water heater and this way I do not have to worry about the chimney. Just wanted to get some input from the group and any recommendations you have. Thanks.

Old 04-29-20, 08:11 AM
A
Received 113 Votes on 104 Posts
Is the old chimney deteriorated to need a new lining? If not the old water heater should continue to work perfectly well with no changes.

During summer, the water heater worked perfectly well with the old furnace shut down, no?

An advantage of a dumb (non-electronic, atmospheric vented) water heater is that you still have hot water if there is a power failure.

Old 04-29-20, 08:17 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Yes the chimney started deteriorating on the inspection which is what made me start to question lining vs. replacing.

Old 04-29-20, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
I believe its a requirement that chimneys be lined for gas appliances. If lining the chimney costs as much as a new water heater does, that would be a no brainer, imo.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: