How to secure gas pipe to water heater?

Old 05-06-20, 10:48 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to secure gas pipe to water heater?

I recently replaced my gas water heater in my home. The old WH had steel black pipe connected directly to the gas valve on the WH. Of course, the pipe would not line up with the gas valve on the new WH. So, I used a flexible gas connector from the gas line shutoff valve to the gas valve on the new WH. So, the vertical steel gas pipe going down towards the bottom of the WH is a little floppy. Is there a way to secure the pipe to the WH or stabilize it some other way. The pipe is about 6 inches away from the WH. I know they make earthquake straps to secure the WH to a wall but that is not my issue. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-20, 08:44 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Add something to attach it to.

Surprised no one has replied. I appreciate the problem you describe. Someone could bump into the pipe and stress the flexible connector. If there is no nearby wall to support the pipe, you might try some type of pipe hanger such as (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-4-in-Galvanized-Split-Ring-Tubing-Hanger-33552/301505445) and find a way to connect it to the tank. Maybe glue a piece of perforated steel angle to the tank. Another alternative might be to attach it to an empty pipe that you run down to a pipe flange attached to the floor.

Old 05-14-20, 05:29 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I see your problem. I don't understand why piping is plumbed that way. Makes no sense. What you could do is fabricate a small wall. Just two 2 x 4's spaced 16" apart nailed to the ceiling and floor and secure that pipe to one of those studs. You can even throw some cross members between the studs to make " shelving" for whatever.

This is in essence what the flipper did at the home my daughter just purchased. But in this case it provided a place for all plumbing and electrical facilities to be supported since none of it is next to a foundation wall for all laundry including stationary tub, washer and dryer. What they didn't do is actually secure the gas pipe to a stud. I had to do that.

Old 05-14-20, 10:08 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
If the black iron pipe to the shut off valve is properly supported I see no need for additional support of the flexible connector. Personally, I wouldn't use a flexible connector on a water heater. I'd just use the proper pipe lengths for the pipe to line up with the gas valve.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-14-20 at 09:55 PM. Reason: changed would to wouldn't