Atmospheric venting vs. direct vent

Old 05-13-20, 10:53 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Atmospheric venting vs. direct vent

Hello,

I will be replacing existing atmospheric vent water heater within the next few months. If I continue with an atmospheric vented unit, I will also need to reline the chimney. Since the location of the water heater is right next to an exterior wall, I was planning on installing a direct-vent unit thereby bypassing the need for the extra chimney work. I wanted to ask your thoughts on direct vent units and if there are any potential disadvantages compared to atmospheric venting ones. Thank you.

Old 05-13-20, 02:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,156 Upvotes on 1,930 Posts
When you say you are considering a direct vent heater are you talking about installing a dual tube (non-powered) vented heater or are you considering a high efficiency heater with a powered vent?

Old 05-13-20, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The only disadvantages of an induced draft (powered) water heater are they are a bit noisier due to the fan, they use more house air for the draft than an atmospheric one, and you need 120 volts to power the fan.

That said, I have a 50 gallon induced draft water heater and it was pretty straight forward to install and I like it a lot.

Old 05-14-20, 10:03 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Another disadvantage of a induced draft water heater is when the power is off you will have no hot water.

Old 05-16-20, 08:14 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies. Pilot Dane, Yes I was referring to a non powered dual tube vent. Since the heater is right next to exterior wall, I was going to go with the non powered direct vent system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: