Timer on power vent gas water heater?

Old 05-19-20, 01:45 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Timer on power vent gas water heater?

I don't have the make/model information in front of me, but I do know it is a 40 gallon power vent water heater. Water heater was installed about 3 years ago.

I would like to put the water heater on a timer. I'm not interested in doing this for cost savings, but rather to control the noise so I don't hear it running during the middle of the night when trying to sleep. The water heater is located in a utility closet in a laundry room located on the other side of the wall from the master bathroom.

Is there any issue with the electronics or the sensing on a modern water heater that would cause an issue with it being shut off every night from 10PM to 5AM?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-20, 06:33 AM
C
Finally had a chance to look and it is a Rheem PROG40-40N RH67 PV.

https://www.rheem.com/product/profes...!#overviewtext

Old 05-21-20, 06:44 AM
C
I used the contact us form on the Rheem webpage and received this in my inbox this morning:

Thank you for contacting Rheem. Shutting your unit down at night will not cause issues with your heater. However, if the unit heats at night, the water will not be as hot as it would be in the mornings.

Old 05-21-20, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 920 Votes on 860 Posts
That's good. You got the answer you were looking for.

Old 05-21-20, 09:31 AM
C
Indeed.

I have also put together a circuit with a current sensing switch on it. If the water heater is running, it will stay running until complete. Only when complete will the timer actually shut the water heater off. That way if a load of laundry or a last minute bath/shower before bed happens, the water heater can ride through and complete to a stop like normal. My big fear is shutting off the heater right in the middle of a cycle, as it sounds like the fan continues to run for a bit after the burner shuts off.