deciding on gas vs. electric water heater

Old 05-20-20, 07:22 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
deciding on gas vs. electric water heater

Anticipating replacement of gas water heater. It is located in the basement of a rental property. I've become aware that electric units can be purchased for less than equally featured gas models. Since electric water heaters require 240V power supply, which would need to be added in the basement, would paid installation of an electric unit be likely to cost more than replacing the old one with another gas unit?

The main circuit breaker box is on a wall in the basement, adjacent to the wall where the water heater sits.

Popular Reply

05-20-20, 07:30 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
A pretty common question. There is actually a thread running right now on this exact topic.
doityourself.com--gas-verses-electric-water-heater.

An electric water heater is less expensive than gas to purchase but will cost you much more to operate. If I had natural gas.... and I do.... I'd never consider an electric water heater.

Old 05-20-20, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
A pretty common question. There is actually a thread running right now on this exact topic.
doityourself.com--gas-verses-electric-water-heater.

An electric water heater is less expensive than gas to purchase but will cost you much more to operate. If I had natural gas.... and I do.... I'd never consider an electric water heater.

CasualJoe, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-21-20, 04:58 AM
A
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
An all electric water heater is the choice of last resort in most areas due to the higher cost of operating it and the longer time it takes to heat a tankful of water.

Old 05-21-20, 06:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 969 Votes on 890 Posts
I install electric water heaters in all my rentals if possible. I'm moving towards total electric when possible as many renters are put off my having an extra deposit and bill for gas.

Old 05-21-20, 03:42 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. The link to the other discussion. was also very helpful.

Regarding the comment (mentioned by by Pilot Dane) about renters having an extra deposit and bill for gas, I think is irrelevant since the house has a gas furnace and renters would still need a gas account, in addition to an electric account, in order to have heat for the house.

Old 05-22-20, 03:50 AM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
It all depends on the circumstances.

What is a plus for one person may be immaterial to another.

In my case electrical was the way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: