Adapter Question

Old 06-05-20, 05:06 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Adapter Question

We are in California. The device is an 8 KW electric on demand heater. The two pictures are of the plumbing pipe connected to the heater and the parts separated to show the components. I stopped at a plumbing store and the people behind the counter could not definitively state if this is a good setup. The threads on the heater are finer than the threads on the plumbing flex tube.

Is this setup going to work well and not leak?

Attached Images   
Old 06-06-20, 05:53 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 433 Upvotes on 385 Posts
Why do you need the brass adapter? I believe the fitting on the water heater is for a 1/2" compression, with the rubber washer, your flex hose should connect to without a problem.

The brass ring is used if you were using a copper pipe, the ring would compress around making the seal. No need for that - and no need for the adapter.

Old 06-06-20, 11:04 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The threads on the heater do not match the threads on the tubing. The guy behind the counter referred to compression thread and something else threads. I presume that compression fitting have thread specifications that differ from the other type of fittings. I have two pieces of braid covered flex hose for sink connections and the type of thread is not stated.

The manufacturer specifically warns of putting torque on the device so I held the device up a bit, used a crescent wrench on both sides of the connector, and tightened as much as I dared. After 5 to 10 minutes, we had a few drops of water beneath one of the connections. It was tightened just a bit more.
I worry that no amount of tightening will correct the problem.

Old 06-06-20, 12:39 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 433 Upvotes on 385 Posts
Ah, my mistake. I see that the flexible hose is a 1/2" FIP and the heater is a 1/2" compression. So I assume that adapter will help make the connection. It shouldn't need super tightening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: