anode rod

Old 06-27-20, 04:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
anode rod

My 2007 Locnvar 40 ga doesnt show where the anode rod is...but I saw inside last year I looked into the unit via the element hole ..it looked to be under the
vent ,blow off...totally bogus that they didnt diagram it on the unit.... has anyone removed the blow off before..??
its dead center on my unit....can I rig up one of those multi piece stick type anodes under that plug..??
trying to clean the whole unit up to get a few more years out of it... it looked good when I saw the insides before...shiny but tons of calcite chips.... I suspect they act as anodes also with the magnesium that is in them... to some degree..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-20, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Anodes are off the top..

https://www.lochinvar.com/lit/100263...ual%202015.pdf

Im using electronic anodes now.. Much better.. I use these, but personal preference... Your mileage may vary

https://www.corroprotec.com/powered-anode-rod/

Old 06-27-20, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
Powered anode...... very interesting. This would be my concern too.

I will just have to trust that itís actually protecting my tank, as there is no way for me to know, other than the green light says it is.

Old 06-28-20, 04:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 38 Posts
Mile, I switched to the powered style about a year and a half ago and will NEVER go back. We're on well water and I had the absolute worst time with rotten egg smell, noticeable when taking a shower. Could not get rid of it no matter what I did. Jury is out on protection, of course, but even if the tank life is shortened, it was worth it to me to have no smell. Mine has a pilot light on the power unit, so at least I know it's getting power.

Old 06-28-20, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Yes I filtered my whole home in the garage... removing the chlorine and ammonia they add to the water here in myrtle.. Catalytic carbon.. With that said I started getting a smell from hot water side... sulfur rotten eggs.. AO smith uses aluminum anodes.. I removed it and put powered in... smell gone in 2 hours...

Ill never go back...

I was meaning to do this on my heater up north as they only lasted 5 years.. well and softened water there...

They work... I impressed

Old 07-03-20, 09:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100-200$..??? ridiculous.... why wouldnt I buy a BRAND NEW tank.???????
Stupid prices.... I will make my own..