Immersion heater flanges/washers - normal to be hot to touch?

Old 07-04-20, 03:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Immersion heater flanges/washers - normal to be hot to touch?

Hi,
i have two immersion heating elements in my tank, and at the moment the flanges/washers on both are too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. Can I check if this is normal or something to be worried about?

Also it's odd that last night the flange on the top heating element (the booster one) was hot despite not being used for weeks, whilst the bottom one (E7) wasn't. Appreciate it hadn't come on yet but more of the worry is why the top one is hot.

Any ideas and whether anything to worry about?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-20, 04:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 528 Votes on 485 Posts
What heater do you have? Brand? Model number?

What do you mean by "immersion heater"? Is it a immersion heater like used for warming a cup of water or is this a tank style water heater?

Why did you tell us the bottom element is "E7"? Is that an important detail?

Old 07-04-20, 04:36 AM
J
It's a water tank heater made by Kernel, for all the hot water the flat.

The reason I mention the bottom is E7 because it makes sense why that heating element flange might not be hot before the E7 comes on, but the top heating element is switched on by a switch as a booster and given that's not been on for weeks I'm not sure if it's something to worry about that the flange on that element is hot.

​any thoughts? In general would one expect the flanges of the heating elements on a water tank to be hot to touch?

Old 07-04-20, 08:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
When you say "hot" I assume you mean temperature and not electrically energized.

What temperature do you have your heater set to?

This is primarily a North American website. Our water heaters the upper element is the primary. Only after it has achieved the set temperature does the upper thermostat send power to the lower thermostat and the lower heating element. This is automatic and our heaters don't have switches to allow you to turn heating elements on and off manually.

Because they are heating elements their metal bodies can get quite warm when they are on and heating. When they are not on the metal parts will be warm but not really hot. They are close to the water's temperature when they are not actively heating.

Old 07-04-20, 08:47 AM
J
Thanks for the reply.

When I say hot, yes I mean temperature wise to the touch,n electrically energised. And indeed I have turned off this top heating element at the switchboard so no electricity should be going here at all.

I have both thermostats (1 per heating element) set to just under 50 Celsius.

The bottom element is now currently cold to touch (even though this is the one which draws electricity and is the one that turns on every night), but the top element remains too hot to touch. I've added photos to help.

Any more thoughts?

Old 07-04-20, 03:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Heat rises so it's normal for the top of the tank to be warmer than the bottom, sometimes it can be a very dramatic difference.