Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

2011 AO Smith GPVH-40 (100) water heater: FV sensor tripped + water leaking

Old 07-06-20, 08:47 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

Hi All,

Wanted to run something by you all. I have a 2011 AO Smith waterheater which is gas powered. I went into the basement and saw that water was spilling out, felt quite hot too the touch. I then noticed the error code on my thermostat and it was saying the FV sensor tripped, due to flammable materials being detected.

I took it out and measured 95k Ohm, where it should be like 10k-50k Ohm so thought it was shot and ordered a new one (and left it out). But what about the leaking?

I let it sit for a few hours with the fan and the water inlet off and then switched the water on again. When I call for hot water, under neat the tank it started leaking... I later measured the broken FV sensor again now it showed correct values.

Do I really have a leaking tank here? No water comes out when the water inlet is switch off (and possibly not when it's on- and when not calling for hot water).

Could the FV sensor tripped here due to the water leaking?

Any recommendations I can check?

Old 07-07-20, 02:37 PM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Do I really have a leaking tank here?
Sounds like the tank is leaking to me.

Old 07-07-20, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
If you have a leaking tank.... it shouldn't make a difference if it's heating or not.
Just being under pressure should cause the leak to occur.

Old 07-08-20, 10:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Had a plumber look. The FV sensor likely tripped due to the water and nothing else. Tank was leaking, 7 y/o ... replaced complete heater.

Old 07-08-20, 01:58 PM
B
Received 322 Upvotes on 284 Posts
I don't think an FV sensor on a gas fired water heater detects water vapor. Only thing you can do with a leaking tank is replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: