Water Heater Flushing Questions

Old 07-10-20, 07:29 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Heater Flushing Questions

I have a Bradford-White 75-gallon gas water heater that is from 1997, so 23 years old. I have a few questions on draining and flushing. I don't think it has been flushed for 10+ years.

1. I would like to drain/flush it but am concerned that given the age that might be risky. Could it expose some weak areas and potentially cause a leak? Is it best to let “sleeping dogs lie”? It works fine but maybe it is taking a lot of energy if there is a lot of sediment build up? I did check and water does come out freely from the drain if I open it up (it’s a brass fitting with a chrome handle).

2. If I do flush it, I could drain into a sump pit or run the hose up and out to the yard through a basement window. If I drain into the sump, would the sediment clog the sump pump? If I drain out the window will I need a pump – the window is about 8 feet above the level of the heater drain.

3. Should I proactively replace the heater given its age? It seems fine, but if it leaks would it be a burst and a flood in the basement? Or is it more likely to be a slow leak, which I could shut off and give me time to get a new one. I did ask Bradford, the guy on the phone said he had never seen a catastrophic leak, that it is always a slow leak. Of course, trying to replace a heater during an emergency is setting myself up for no time or leverage to get a good deal.

4. If I get a new one what is your opinion on a tankless one? I know they are more expensive to buy and install and the payback in reduced energy bills might be minimal. But I am more concerned about their reliability or other operational drawbacks.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-20, 09:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
I'd be leery of flushing a water heater that old. I wouldn't replace it just yet but I would set money aside so you have it when you do need to replace the heater. I like to flush/drain off my water heater 2-3 times a year .... but I've been doing that since it was installed.

Old 07-10-20, 09:07 AM
J
Received 70 Votes on 65 Posts
I'd replace it!
There's just no way anyone can tell you if it will just start leaking or the whole bottom will drop out of it.
Not a fan of the tank less ones.

Old 07-10-20, 09:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 534 Votes on 491 Posts
I would not try flushing. After that much time the drain is likely buried under sediment. I don't think flushing will cause or hasten a leak much but I don't think you'll be able to flush enough out to make it worthwhile.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 07-10-20, 01:11 PM
B
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the prompt responses.

Old 07-10-20, 05:22 PM
B
If I do decide to risk it and flush the tank, can you guys advise on my other questions:

[/QUOTE]If I do flush it, I could drain into a sump pit or run the hose up and out to the yard through a basement window. If I drain into the sump, would the sediment clog the sump pump? If I drain out the window will I need a pump – the window is about 8 feet above the level of the heater drain.
[QUOTE]

Old 07-11-20, 04:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 534 Votes on 491 Posts
Yes, you will get sediment out. I would not want that going into a sump. But, you can run a hose into a bucket inside the sump. The bucket will catch most of the sediment and it can overflow into the sump to pump out the water.

You can also use a garden hose up and out the window... IF you are able to maintain a good flow rate. I'm betting your drain valve will clog and you'll be poking at it a lot for cleaning. For old heaters I get the largest catch pan that will fit under the drain valve. I leave the water turned on. Try a hose first and let it run but if it clogs I unhook the hose and put the pan under the drain. Drape a large rag or old towel over the valve to contain spraying and shove a large zip tie or coat hanger up in the drain to unclog it.

I wouldn't bother on a heater so old but you can plan on replacing the drain valve with a quarter turn ball valve. This creates a larger diameter, straight passage which is much less likely to clog. To install it I turn the water off to the house and open a faucet to relieve all the water pressure. Then I put a catch pan under the drain valve. Unscrew the old one and quickly screw in the new one. Then turn the house water back on a proceed with flushing.

Old 07-11-20, 04:42 AM
B
Great, thanks for the detailed advice! I most likely will not drain it, but still very helpful to know all the issues involved.