Do I need to change the anode rod with a 12-year warranty WH?

Old 08-02-20, 01:06 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to change the anode rod with a 12-year warranty WH?

I bought a water heater with 12 year warranty. Do I still need to do the annual maintenance like changing the anode rod and drain the sediment? If I don't change the anode rod, the water heater breaks down before 12 years, I will just get a new replacement under warranty. So what's the incentive of doing these painstaking maintenance?

Old 08-02-20, 01:21 PM
Received 374 Votes on 339 Posts
The average life of any appliance now days is 7 to 10 years. Continue to drain the water every 6 months (personally I do even bother doing that). Unless you have extremely hard water it's not really necessary to bother changing the anode rod. I don't think it will extend the life by that much if at all.
If you have the head room to change out the rod, then it's a cheap way to prolong the life of the heater. Most people do not have the head room to replace the rod.

Old 08-02-20, 01:32 PM
U
Right, but my question is why do I want to change the anode rod and do the flushing, the warranty is for 12 years, that's almost the life span of a water heater. If I do NOT do any maintenance, yes, the WH may breaks down sooner than if I do the maintenance. But if it is still within the 12 year warranty period, I will just get a new WH under warranty, so why bother to do the maintenance?

Old 08-02-20, 01:37 PM
No you won't get new water heater. IF they determine a fault in workmanship or material, you get a prorated cash back towards a new heater. Or a replacement gas valve assembly. Think of tires.

Old 08-02-20, 02:18 PM
U
OK, so if a owner do not change the anode rod and flush the sediment, and the water heater leaks within the warranty period, should that be a fault in the workmanship or material? The WH company can not deny the warranty because the owner did not perform the maintenance, correct?

Old 08-02-20, 03:18 PM
Maybe, maybe not. That's where the fine print (that requires a magnifying glass) comes into play. I bet someone like HAL (a forum member..."he's a lawyer but not your lawyer") can comment.
In most cases the anode rod will last the warranty period (but just barely). By the time you realize the anode rod is deteriorated the cost and age of the unit most likely is not worth the warranty.
If the heater leaks due to a hole rusting through or the gas valve fails, or the liner cracks, that is warranty issues but again just like a tire you've gotten use out of the item and will be charged for that use. Pro-rating. Or depreciation of an item through insurance. Same thing.
If a warranty issued ever went so far as to be in a court of law, the judge would use "rough" justice to determine the monetary use you got out of a failed unit. This is common in cases of contractors who do not fulfill a contract or are unable or prevented from fulfilling a project for any number of reasons.

Old 08-02-20, 04:47 PM
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
I have never changed an anode rod, but try to flush my water heater annually. I try, but sometimes it doesn't happen. I replaced my last 6 year warranted water heater when it was 24 years old not because it quit, but because It was due to have a problem of some kind.

If I don't change the anode rod, the water heater breaks down before 12 years, I will just get a new replacement under warranty.
Your 12 year warranty is probably just a tank warranty.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 08-02-20, 05:02 PM
A
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Failure to do maintenance can void the warranty but only for those maintenance items mentioned in the instructions.

Old 08-02-20, 07:04 PM
L
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Norm: Many replacement anode rods are sectioned into roughly one foot sections so they can be installed with very little headroom.

Can not imagine why anyone would even think of replacing the rod annually.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 08-03-20, 06:56 AM
A
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
No you would not replace the anode rod annually but two years is a good interval fbefore the first inspection to get an idea of when to do the next inspection.

If you just moved in then do the first anode inspection immediately and do the next inspection 1 years later if the rod had significant wear and was not replaced..

Old 08-03-20, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
My water heater is from 69. Wrote company to find out age.Was installed when house built. Afraid to touch it or do any anode rod change. WH looks like it has never been touched. Am budgeting for a new one but still works good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: