Water Too Hot

Old 08-03-20, 06:59 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Water Too Hot

We have a Whirlpool 50 gal. electric water heater installed new in 2003. The water gets too hot. Lowered the temperature setting on smart box on top of the heater. This did not seem to help. The water is still too hot.
What is the fix for this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-20, 08:22 AM
D
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There are two t stats in an electric water heater, you adjusted the wrong one. The upper one is for recovery which should be at least 10 degrees higher than the lower one.
Remove the lower cover and adjust adjust the stat there. I would not lower it more than 10 degrees on the stat the marks are approximate not for real. Then remove the top cover and return it back to something around 120 F degrees. This temp is a WAG cause I do not know how your hot water is used. An electric dish washer does better with 120 F than it does when the temp is lower. Besides it is less expensive to heat water with 240v than 120v.
Please be careful when doing this the electricity can be right out in the open behind these covers.

As a side note when was the last time you flushed the water heater?

Old 08-03-20, 10:47 AM
W
Read my post again. I adjusted the temperature setting on the box on top of the heater. I did not adjust either of the two thermostats.

Old 08-03-20, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
I've never worked on a water heater like that. It would appear to take a fairly reliable device like an electric water heater and make it electronically controlled. Can't see much energy savings with the system.

Anyway..... I see two heating elements and two temperature sensors. Basically everything is done from the top unit. The link below should be your manual. It mentions different modes of operation that affect temperatures.
Whirlpool energy smart manual (pdf)

Old 08-04-20, 06:25 AM
W
Thanks, guys. I am trying to figure out whether the problem is in the control board at the energy smart box or whether the problem is with the thermostats.

Old 08-04-20, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
There are troubleshooting steps for checking the temp sensors.
They should measure very close to the same resistance.

Troubleshooting guide (pdf)

Old 08-05-20, 06:58 AM
W
Thanks for the PDF, PJ. Waiting for delivery later today of a thermometer to check actual water temperature. Will have follow-up comments.

Old 08-06-20, 06:40 AM
W
Water temperature is 115 degrees F. Now, to see if all is well using Energy Save mode.

Old 08-14-20, 01:26 PM
W
Water temperature holds steady in Energy Saver Mode. All seems well. Apparently, Smart Box temperature was set too high. Thanks for everyone's help.