Replacement PT Relief valve

Old 09-29-20, 11:44 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacement PT Relief valve

I had the PT relief valve replaced on a RUUD gas water heater, due to several drain releases throughout the day. Since then releases continue but at lesser frequency and amounts. I noticed the plumber had installed a galvanized pipe coupler/splice between the new PT valve and the gas heater nipple inside the heater. This pushed the new PT valve out by 1 1/2" from the older valve position. Is this acceptable? Since the new valve is out further due to the pipe section, could valve temperature and pressure readings by off?

Thanks!
new PT valve installed with pipe extension

zoom to upper right to see fitting in place

Old 09-29-20, 09:31 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
No clue why he would have had to add any fittings to make it work unless he tried to install one that was to long.
If it's still blowing off then it's likely not the valve that's the issue.
Water pressures to high, no pressure tank, temp. set to high can all cause this.

Old 10-01-20, 07:13 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. The plumber is coming out to check pressure on the house. My temp dial is set to 120 degrees which should be fine. Expansion tank maybe the way to go, but with the water heater at 16/17 years old I may just replace it.

Old 10-01-20, 07:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,311 Upvotes on 2,056 Posts
That is a major NO NO for installing a T&P valve and is a dangerous installation. There may be NO fittings between the water heater and the T&P valve. The probe, the little white rod you can see protruding from the pipe nipple, must be fully inside the water heater to accurately sense the water temperature. If your T&P is still leaking I suspect it's because of excess water pressure. Especially since it's currently mounted on a pipe nipple that surrounds it in cooler water. I strongly suggest looking for a different, licensed plumber.

Old 10-01-20, 08:59 AM
M
Received 302 Upvotes on 272 Posts
What is the actual water temperature?
Run the hot water into a glass with a thermometer in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: