Anode rod too long

Old 10-01-20, 10:57 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Anode rod too long

Hi, I thought I had enough overhead space, but not. Anything wrong with grinding out some material (being careful not to nick the main wire), say in the center of the rod to be able bend it enough to fit? Next time I'll get flexible one. Thanks,

Old 10-01-20, 11:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
Don't try grinding zinc. It will gum up your grinding wheel. If you want you can cut with a saw or file. But, I wouldn't try making a rigid rod flexible. The core wire is rather thin and will soon corrode in half and you'll loose the bottom part. Instead I'd cut whatever you need to off the bottom end of the rod. Obviously, try to keep it as long as you can but a short rod will work as well as a longer one, it will just have a shorter life.

Old 10-01-20, 12:06 PM
B
Thanks Pilot Dane, good info. I had planned on cutting a hole in the garage ceiling, & save the plug, & silicon it back when finished. (yeah I do nutty stuff) I didn't realize their was an obstruction above, (not a rafter). I don't know if the replacement rod has the same center wire as the one I'm taking out. The old one has 99% of the material gone, but the wire is in good shape. I sure wouldn't want it coming apart in the tank. I'm thinking of checking the wire at the end, & see if it's about the same. Maybe trying what I first said about removing some material, & bending. Does this sound reasonable to you? Thanks,

Last edited by bobdee; 10-01-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 04:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
An anode is eaten away from the outside in, so the wire is protected until the zinc is all gone. So, if you remove material from the middle of the rod that area will get eaten through first and the bottom part will fall off useless.

Here is my list of options:
1. Don't bother changing the anode. Most people never do.
2. Get a flexible chain style anode.
3. Cut off the bottom end of the rod so you can get it in.
4. Cut down the middle of the rod so you can bend it for installation.
5. Take a chainsaw to the ceiling so you can get the anode in without cutting it off.

Old 10-01-20, 04:29 PM
B
Very good, thank you for your time, & much appreciated comments. I have to change the rod, less than 2 yrs it's gone. I'll eliminate option #1, & definitely #5.

Old 10-02-20, 07:10 AM
B
Last word..I chose door #3, & cut of 14" off a 53 3/8" rod. I'll check & or replace next year, & get a flexible chain style next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: