house plumbing opposite of hot water heater connections

Old 10-17-20, 12:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
house plumbing opposite of hot water heater connections

my 40-gal gas water heater has a criss-cross of copper pipe on top. the cold water supply from the house plumbing comes down from the ceiling on the left but does connect to the tank's cold water inlet on right side. Conversely, the hot water pipes for the house plumbing come down from the ceiling on the right but does connect to the tank's hot water outlet on the left. Plumber said the criss-crossing of the copper pipes was up to code (in Allegheny County, PA) when he installed it 15 yrs ago.
thinking ahead to the day I'll have to replace it. water heaters are built with default hot outlet on left and cold inlet on right. Rather than redoing the house plumbing, can I put the cold water dip tube into the left connection of the tank AND put the hot water outlet into the right connection of the tank? saw other sites say it's possible but is it up to code? makes it easy to solder copper connections for both water lines to use flexible hoses.
. .

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-20, 04:18 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
No. The cold water inlet has a dip tube that goes almost to the bottom of the tank supplying clod water to lwer section of tank where the water gets heated. The hot water discharge takes water from the upper section of the tank where water is already hot. Will the reverse work? Yes but not very well.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

Old 10-18-20, 07:43 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
Warning: Never connect the cold supply and the hot plumbing to a water heater backwards. This will cause the heater to show it is full of water when it is not and the heater will self destruct when the heating is turned on.

It is not improper for the pipes above the water heater to criss cross to reach the proper ports (nipples) on the top of the heater.

Also there is no manufacturing rule or convention that the cold inlet is on the left or the right on the top of the tank.

Simply use a few additional short lengths of pipe and a few additional elbows if needed so the proper pipes reach the proper ports.

Old 10-18-20, 01:10 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Never connect the cold supply and the hot plumbing to a water heater backwards.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that only applies to an electric tank heater. I don't see how it can affect a gas fired hot water tank.

Old 10-19-20, 03:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
good to know the criss-cross of lines on top of the tank is kosher. thanks for the replies!