Dropped heat trap in water heater tank, Bad?

Old 11-03-20, 02:23 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dropped heat trap in water heater tank, Bad?

Hi thanks for any help in advance. I recently replaced and installed a new hot water heater. It went well except that the hot water pressure was pretty low. I ended up going back in and removing the heat trap as I assumed this was the culprit. When doing so, I noticed that the trap was incredibly hard to remove and separated. The tube came out but the flap and some of the heat trap parts fell into the hot water heater.
i was wondering is this going to cause any issues with my new hot water heater? Will the parts cause a block in the pipes? Not sure what to do at this point.
Thanks for any help or advice

Old 11-03-20, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,101 Upvotes on 3,683 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Electric or gas water heater ?

My opinion:
The parts will either float or sink. Won't be a problem if they sink as that's where the water comes in. They won't melt if they sit on the bottom of an electric water heater. Not so sure about a gas unit.

If they float.... there is a possibility they could get in the hot water pipe but that would be pretty rare. The only way you could get them out would be thru the T&P port but that would be a tricky task.

I'd let it go.

Old 11-04-20, 05:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,268 Upvotes on 2,020 Posts
I think about all you can do is let is go and see what happens. Getting the pieces out of the heater will be extremely difficult. So, go on with life and just keep this in the back of your mind. A year from now if you have a sink loose a lot of it's pressure you may have to remove the shutoff valve or clean out the faucet but I'm betting you won't have any troubles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: