Work-around for Disintegrated Dip Tube

Old 12-02-20, 08:32 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Work-around for Disintegrated Dip Tube

I have an old Marathon water heater whose dip tube was defective. There was a whole series of these tanks that used a Perfection dip tube (ironic name.) Obviously my hot water is extremely limited.
Rather than install a new tube, a much quicker solution would be to run the cold water into the tank at the drain valve location. I am concerned, however, that the drain valve will be hard to remove after many years. The fittings on this tank do not appear to be brass but instead a silver color. I fear that putting too much torque on the drain valve will damage the plastic tank
So two questions: First, does anyone know what material the fittings are made of? (I assume some kind of plated steel) And second, aside from violating plumbing codes, why not leave the drain faucet in place and run the cold water back through it? I"m sure there would be some sort of pressure loss, but how significant? Can anyone quantify the approximate degree of pressure loss?
Thanks so much for your help!

Old 12-03-20, 07:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 157 Votes on 139 Posts
I don't really know the issues with running cold water into the bottom of the tank. But I do know that most water heater drain valves are typically the cheapest valves the manufacturers could find. Most are globe valves, which have poor volume compared to a full-bore pipe. Picture all your water needing to go through a 3/8" hole instead of a 3/4" hole (less than 1/4" the size). So I'd imagine you'd have volume issues at the shower and such.

Have you tried replacing the dip tube? The few times I've tried, it's been a pretty easy process, but I assume yours is rusted in?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: