A.O. Smith or Rheem HW heater?

Old 12-05-20, 04:18 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A.O. Smith or Rheem HW heater?

I'm to the point of choosing between the A.O. Smith or Rheem, 40 gal, natural gas, power vent HW heaters. The reviews at Lowes had a lot of concerns about early failures and poor customer service. Home Depot has relatively few reviews.

What are your experiences with early tank failure and customer service between the two brands?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-20, 04:50 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
One of the plumber mods here highly recommends AO Smith. I've personally had good experiences with Rheem. Though admittedly, I haven't installed enough of them to have more than just some anecdotal experiences.

BobzYurUncle voted this post useful.
Old 12-07-20, 11:17 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
That plumber mod, Lawrosa, used to recommend AO Smith, but for the last year or so he has recommended Bradford White water heaters. I also would go with a Bradford White, in fact I already have in two houses.

Old 12-07-20, 03:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
I don't care about the brand stocked by home centers too much. A $450 water heater is a $450 water heater no matter the name on the sticker. If it's the cheap heater your big box home center stocks... it's cheap. You can move up in quality in every manufacturer's product line and get higher quality. Price will give you some indication as does the warranty period.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: