Water Heater Trips Once Every Few Days

Old 12-08-20, 09:29 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Heater Trips Once Every Few Days

Looking for some help on my water heater. I have a Rheem Electric water heater that is only a couple years old. A few weeks ago I had to replace the line going to the water heater cause it was leaking. I pulled out the heater, replaced the water line, cleaned out all the sediment from the tank and put everything back together. Now my water heater will trip the breaker once a day or once every few days. I replaced the breaker (Newer breaker panel also) and still trips. The elements both turn on and heat. The breaker always pops when there is no water running, at night or when im at work. Any thoughts?

Old 12-08-20, 10:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
First, I would check the heating elements to make sure they are not shorted. Next, I would consider replacing the upper thermostat. Without finding an actual cause it's just throwing parts & money at it but that would be my guess.

Make sure you understand how a residential water heater works. Only one element is on at a time and the upper thermostat does most of the work so it's the most common thing to go. Also, if the upper thermostat fails and allows both the upper and lower elements to come on at the same time it will draw too much current and trip the breaker.

Old 12-09-20, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
What size breaker ?
As Dane mentioned.....only one element heats at a time. First upper then lower one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: