Water Heater Leaking from Hot Water Outlet Pipe

Old 01-09-21, 05:26 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Heater Leaking from Hot Water Outlet Pipe

I discovered a leak in the pipe that carries the hot water to the house. I turned closed off the incoming water, turned off the gas and power to the water heater and it's still producing a steady amount of dripping (I can also hear a hissing sound). I attached a hose and started to drain the tank. Dripping slowed down and cannot hear the hiss. I drained for 30 minutes and tightened the drain valve. Hissing resumed and dripping commenced. It's the weekend and having a hard time getting a hold of a plumber. Just trying to stop the water for now. Is it okay to continue to drain the tank? Will that do the trick or should I be doing something else? Thanks!

Old 01-09-21, 08:44 PM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
deleted ...................................

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-09-21 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-10-21, 07:30 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
Where is it dripping from? The water heater tank? Or a pipe?

By turning off the valve to the water heater, then opening a hot water tap to relieve pressure should stop the leak. By draining down the tank a bit to get the water out of the piping should stop the leak 100% since there should be no longer any water in the pipes.

If you do drain the tank, be sure to turn off the tank. If it's gas, it's not a huge deal - but will be a waste of gas. For an electric tank, you'll want to turn off the breaker as you'll burn out the elements if it's heating with no water.

Old 01-11-21, 09:42 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
All water heaters must have the heating turned off and kept off if the tank is drained. For a gas heater the bottom of the tank will be damaged if the heat comes on and the tank is empty.

Do not turn the heating back on until you have refilled the tank and seen water gushing from a hot faucet upstairs without interruption by air spurts.

Old 01-14-21, 06:17 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
It's the weekend and having a hard time getting a hold of a plumber.
It's been 5 days. Should we assume you finally got a plumber to fix your problem?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: