Water filter/softener? Not sure.

Old 02-01-04, 09:13 AM
pdnovak
Visiting Guest
Water filter/softener? Not sure.

Attached is a picture of a water filter that is attached in my basement. I've never had anyone be able to tell me what exactly this thing does or if I need to change the filter on it or not....etc...etc...

I do not have a water softener, so I'm not sure if this replaces the softener. It was already installed in the house when I moved in.

Does anyone here have any information on it? I do have a problem with the amount of time it takes hot water to reach ANY of the faucets, so I thought this might be one of the reasons.

Any help?

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-04, 09:18 AM
pdnovak
Visiting Guest
Upload didn't work.

Here is a link.Filter

Old 02-01-04, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
pdnovak:

It's impossible to know what the filters do without knowing what media is inside of them.
They could be for iron, used as a water softener or even carbon for taste and chlorine removal.

Those tanks are either disposable or are returned to the supplier for a manual regeneration.

Is there anything written on them?

Old 02-01-04, 07:49 PM
pdnovak
Visiting Guest
I finally bent down and took a look at the label. It is an Equinox EQ300 Whole House Water Treatment System.

I took a look at the Equinox website and it is basically to remove impurities from the water system for drinking water.

I do need to replace the tan (should be white) filter that is left open. The website says that the unit itself should be replaced about every 4 years. If that is the case, mine probably needs to be replaced (or removed) soon.

Old 02-03-04, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation YIKES!

I've never seen such thing before..

But, WOW!! $700 for every 4 years to change that out.. Man.. Forget that.. You can get some other filter system cheaper than that.

I would remove it!

Old 02-04-04, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
pdnovak:

I'm inclined to agree with jay that there could be better ways to address your water treatment needs.

The filter unit you have appears to be a high capacity unit and in some cases would be the one to use.
In your case however I don't think that it is necessary to use a carbon filter on water for bathing and laundry.
Carbon is best used for drinking water and is a waste IMO to filter bathing and laundry water with it.
Another issue is the fact that carbon filters must be serviced regularly because they tend to harbor bacteria which can build up over time, especially if there is an extended period of low water flow, like say a vacation.

Depending on your water hardness I would recommend a whole house pre-filter that feeds a water softener with a line tee'd off to a carbon drinking water filter piped to either the cold water at the kitchen sink or a separate drinking tap. This drinking line can either be softened or not.
Also it would be a good idea to run a totally unfiltered line to the outdoor faucet.

Sorry pictures here are temporarily turned off.

http://www.rainfresh.ca/images/ds3_installed.jpg

Old 02-04-04, 06:42 AM
I am w/ Greg on the pre-filter, and water softner for the house.

I was going to mention that last night, but it was getting late, and I was kinda sleepy.

I would take your water in some where, and have it tested.. (we have a tester at our Home Depot store to test hardness, and iron)

There are test kits you can buy at home centers, and have it sent away. Get the water before any type of filters in your home so they can tell you what's really in it. Then you can go from there if you just need a simple water softner.

Old 02-23-04, 03:54 AM
truth
Visiting Guest
I thought reverse osmosis filtering was better than carbon filtering . . .

Old 02-23-04, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Reverse osmosis is not better, it's different.
What's better is subject to each situation.

Reverse osmosis will remove infinitely smaller particles, but at the cost of a very low flow rate through the filter and with the wasting of about two gallons of water for every gallon produced.

Carbon on the other hand has a fairly coarse filtration ability but will absorb contaminants that give water a bad taste.
All reverse osmosis units that I'm familiar with use a carbon filter to polish the water before it's delivered.

RO units for home use are very expensive, waste a lot of water, have an extremely low flow rate and can't be used with hard water so I personally don't recommend them unless absolutely necessary.

Old 02-23-04, 08:01 AM
I am with Greg on the RO.