water heater leak

Old 02-08-04, 05:50 PM
rondietz54
Visiting Guest
water heater eak

I discovered my 14 year old water heater leaking this afternoon. There is a drip at the botton and a little pool of water at the top where there is a little depression where the hot water outlet pipe fixture is threated into the tank. The fitting is corroded badly. The question is this. if the leak is at the top, is it posssible for the water to flow somehow down the inside of the tank, (thru the insulation perhaps). and leak out the bottom. If so is the tank repairable by replacing the fitting.

Another question. The leak is a drip and is going a short distance to the drain. The floor is wet. Is there any danger in this situation.

Ron

Old 02-08-04, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Assuming that this is an electric water heater, yes, water dripping down between the tank and the outer shell through the insulation could possibly be getting electrical connections wet.
Replacing the di-electric nipple may repair it, but a 14-year-old water heater is pretty old. They usually come in a set of two, so you may want to replace both while you're at it.
Turn off the power and water to the heater first of course, and open a hot water tap to relieve the pressure.
Use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape clockwise only as the end faces you on both ends of the new nipples.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 02-09-04, 07:31 PM
rondietz54
Visiting Guest
Mike

Thanks. When I cleared away all the rust, it started leaking more. It is definitely at the top, as shuttong off the water stopped the leak. even though there was water in the tank. I didn't drain it. I also saw the the nipple area was rusted and it was pretty obvious that I would only damage it more by trying to replace the nipple. I have decided to have a new one installed.

Ron

Old 02-10-04, 01:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Good choice. A 14-year-old water heater doesn't owe you anything, and a new one should be much more energy efficient.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: