General Ionics Water Softner 0820B

Old 02-23-04, 06:07 PM
mrdmevans
Visiting Guest
General Ionics Water Softner 0820B

Does anyone know what I need to do to start using the water softner.

I just bought a house and I dont know how to work it.

PLEASE HELP ME

Old 02-23-04, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not your exact brand, but the knowledge is very useful and will help in your situation.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...rs/index.phtml

^ There are 2 pages of info that will be very useful in knowing about the device you have.

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBER; 02-23-04 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
It would be good to clean out the brine tank and add fresh salt.

Only put one bag of salt in after cleaning and add enough water to fill the tank about 1/4 full.
A fter the salt and water sits in the tank a couple of hours you can then put it into a cycle and see if the brine mix is drawn up in the brine cycle and refills in the fill cycle.

Old 03-31-04, 10:21 AM
Jeff401K
Visiting Guest
General Ionics Softener

We have a General Ionics softener that is at least 20 years old and has been out of service for at least 10 years.

Back then, when we had a lot less money, there was a cost to replace some type of filter and it seems only the authorized GI repair person could perform this change. It was some type of bacteria filter. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Recently someone (a child playing in the basement) moved the valve so that water moved through the system. It caused a large drop in water pressure. Moving the valve back restored the water pressure, but makes me wonder if the system is restorable.

If I wanted to bring the system back online, is there a step by step guide that might be available for a do-it-yourself project?

If I have to employ a professional to do this, how do I find a reputable service technician? I am in the N. Ky/ Gr. Cincinnati area.

Thanks,

jk

Old 03-31-04, 09:28 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Jeff. It sounds as if your filter or softener needs new mineral or resin. When mineral in a filter gets real dirty, it clumps and/or causes an excessive pressure drop across the unit. A blocked distributor tube could do that too. You may be capable of replacing the mineral if you're handy, or you can have any water treament dealer do it. You'd have to have a current raw water analysis to know what mineral to use and/or what type of filter you have; sulfur, iron, turbididty (dirty water) etc.. Does the unit have just one tank that the control valve is on top of? Or is there another smaller tank to put something in too?

Years ago GI used Fleck 2500 control valves. I'm not sure what they use today but it may be a Fleck 2510. Maybe Clack's WS-1. The valve was either stock or somewhat proprietary but not for the internal piston, seals and spacers. Just the timer/clock part IIRC. I've rebuilt some over the years. Either are excellent control valves.

You can buy a new control valve and mineral from many places on the internet. Or from any local independent water treament dealer, well driller, pump guy or plumber that knows water treatment equipment and will rebuild equipment. Personally, price wise you're be better off with a new filter unless you can tear the unit apart and DIY.

Gary Slusser

Old 04-01-04, 08:46 AM
Jeff401K
Visiting Guest
General Ionics Softener

Hi Gary. Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, there are 2 tanks. One is larger, plastic and contains the salt. The other is more narrow, but perhaps taller. It is stainless steal and the valve and timer sits on top of it.

When we first moved into the home, 17 years ago, the unit was there from the previous owner. We received a card telling us that we needed annual maintenance. They came out, spent about 5-10 minutes and charged us about $150.

When we decided to skip future visits we received rather intimidating notices that we were in violation of some EPA regulations. Feeling like we were being used, we decided to by pass the unit.

How does one go about getting the raw water analysis?

Is there a place on the web where one can find step by step instructions for replacing the mineral? I am somewhat handy, especially if I have good instructions.

Do I need to find a GI water treatment dealer? Do most independent water treatment dealers service GI?

Thanks,

Old 04-01-04, 10:17 AM
G
I think that what you believe to be a stainless steel tank will be an insulated tank jacket on a polyglass tank. Jackets have a black plastic cap on top of the tank. Today they actually use SS tanks, as any independent dealer can that wants to; but they are pricey! And you don't gain anything but braggin' rights. lol

What you describe is a water softener, not a filter. They contaiin cation resin.

Any water treatment dealer, well driller, some plumbers etc. will do an analysis, or you can look up labs in your yellow pages or water testing internet sites.

As to instructions, you will be able to get them from most internet places that you buy the resin from. You'll need to know the size of the softener resin tank t oknow the volume you need. Local dealers etc. probably won't have or give you instructions.

Gary Slusser

Old 07-07-04, 05:11 PM
DebiJo2
Visiting Guest
General Ionics Water Softner

Have you contacted ionics.com? We have a General Ionics Bacterial-Static Stainless Steel Water Softner that was purchased about 6 years ago. There is a carbon filter inside for chlorine. Since chlorine destroys the resin over time, the filter not only removes the chlorine but also prolongs the life of the softner. We've contacted General Ionics in the past through their website to get a professional who can change the filter because it's not like a common softner. Also, it was very pricey to buy the softner and worth looking into being able to use it.

Old 07-07-04, 05:37 PM
G
The cartridge type distributor tube filter can be added to any industry standard softener. And any independent dealer can service them but even if GI has their own design, the mineral should be able to be replaced by any dealer that wants to. You must remove the control valve and distributor tube to do so.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 07:40 PM
Jeff401K
Visiting Guest
Hi DebJo2,

Thanks for the message. I did go to GI website. It is not very user friendly as far as locating authorized dealers in the area. I had to fill out a form and give more contact information than I wanted. I am sure I will be getting a sales call, but I will see what happens.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 04-02-08, 09:51 AM
N
Jeff401K

What GI website did you use? I can't Google the right home office. I am also looking for a local service person for the same reasons you are. Thanks
NashB

Old 04-02-08, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Hello NashB

I am afraid that this thread is 3 1/2 years old and Jeff401K is no longer a member.

Feel free to start a new thread in the Filters and Conditioner topic describing your problem in detail and what you want to know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: