Smelly Water

Old 05-27-04, 09:13 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smelly Water

I,ve got smelly (sulphur) water.It seems to be worse from the hot water side.Could this be because of of my hot water tank?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-04, 06:14 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A hot water only odor is caused by sulfate, iron and/or manganese reducing bacteria using certain anode rod materials as an energy source and then they produce H2S gas. Removing or replacing the rod or increasing the temp of the water to 140f will usually stop the odor. That assumes no odor in the cold water. In some cases folks swear there is no odor in their cold water until they spray cold water into a 5 gallon bucket with their nose hung on the rim while they sniff for odor. If there is a cold water odor, the nwater treatment to remove it is needed. There are many types of equipment to treat H2S in cold water.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 09:15 PM
S
It is a gas water heater.How do I tell if it is at 140? Never had a problem before but I went on holidays for a few weeks and when I came back noticed the sulphur like smell.We have a water softner and filters on the system.

Old 05-28-04, 07:41 AM
G
If there is no thermostat, I'm not very familiar with gas/oil water heaters, maybe use a meat thermometer on water out of the T/P valve. Otherwise sanitize the heater with bleach.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 05-28-04, 07:45 AM
S
How do I sanitize the tank with bleach?

Old 05-28-04, 06:31 PM
G
You should shut off the power, drain the tank, flush the tank and then add say a quart of non-sceneted bleach and refill the tank venting air through the T/P valve or a tub hot faucet open until the tank is filled. Then let it sit for an hour or more and then drain and flush again and then refill and turn on the power.

I use the T/P vavle hole to add the bleach unless there is a disposable cartridge filter housing installed. If so I remove the cartridge and fill it with bleach and run hot water until all the bleach is gone. Of course a colored housing prevents seeing when that happens so experience kicks in. lol

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-07-04, 11:17 AM
S
I,m sure it only happens with the hot water.Maybe it is time to replace it.Last year a guy came and replaced the blower motor.Shouldn,t I just call the gas company and see what they say?The unit is a rental.

Old 06-07-04, 08:30 PM
G
In my experience, new heaters have the odor more tha nold ones. That's due to the anode rod being gone after a few years which is one part of the formula that produces the odor if it isn't naturally occuring H2S in the cold water feed to the heater.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-10-04, 09:12 AM
S
I,m confused.The anodes cause the water to smell???I drained a few pails out of tank and water was clear.It only appears to smell whenever I use hotwater from the taps

Old 06-10-04, 08:07 PM
G
No the rod doesn't cause the odor, sufate reducing bacteria do but to do do they need sulfate in the water and the rod and there will be no H2S odor.

To really see what is in the tank, drain it competely and watch the last bit of water as it exits the tank. Then turn on the cold feed water for as long as it takes to open the valve fully and close it. That's done with the drain valve open, then allow all the water to drain again. Repeat until the last bit of water is as clean as possible. You may be amazed at all the dirt you can get out of a water heater tank doing this. And it may be slimy, black and smell terrrible if you have a hot water only H2S odor.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 06:06 AM
M
mblue_fans
Visiting Guest
Re: Smelly Water

I had exactly this problem after a long vacation at my house. In my case the solution was to remove the rod from the waterheater, then run hot water every faucet in the house until the water was cold. Since then, we haven't had the problem anymore.

Old 06-11-04, 12:08 PM
S
Will draining it eliminate my problem?Where do Igo from there?I have a water softner and filters but they would not have anything to do with water going into the hot water tank.

Old 06-12-04, 07:19 AM
G
Where are you filters and softener if they don't have anything to do with the cold water going into the heater? The only correct answer to that is on the hot water side of the heater, which I doubt unless you have hot water filter and softener.

Once you drain and then flush the tank you chlorinate the heater by adding bleach to it and refilling it and running that water through all you hot water plumbing to each fixture. Then you leave it sit for 10-15 minutes and flush each fixture for about 10-15 seconds and shut it off. Repeat every 10-15 minutes for a few hours. Then drain and flush the tank and refill and turn it on. Depending on the cause of the odor problem, you may have no odor for a few months or it will return in a few days to weeks. Increasing the temp to 140f will kill bacteria in the heater and tha tusually prevents the odor if it is a hot water only odor.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-16-04, 10:51 AM
S
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
You should shut off the power, drain the tank, flush the tank and then add say a quart of non-sceneted bleach and refill the tank venting air through the T/P valve or a tub hot faucet open until the tank is filled. Then let it sit for an hour or more and then drain and flush again and then refill and turn on the power.

I use the T/P vavle hole to add the bleach unless there is a disposable cartridge filter housing installed. If so I remove the cartridge and fill it with bleach and run hot water until all the bleach is gone. Of course a colored housing prevents seeing when that happens so experience kicks in. lol

Gary
What is the T/P valve?I had the gas company over and the guy said the smell was from rain in the groundwater and he had the same problem.

Old 06-16-04, 09:17 PM
G
The T/P valve is the temp pressure relief valve. The thing with the plumbing leaving the top/side of the tank and it has a little silver handle on it that you can lift to open it. Of course you only want to do that when the water pressure is relieved unless you have a replacement valve on hand. That's because they can leak after opening them under pressure.

The rain got in the groundwater huh lol.... not really. Only about 10% of precipitation ever gets down to the water table (groundwater), the rest is all runoff. And that perculation takes a few days or longer depending on how deep the water table is.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-21-04, 08:36 AM
S
I poured a couple of bottles of vinegar in the well hoping this would help.Then I ran the hot water through until it came out cold.This appears to have eliminated the odour,at least for a couple of days.Now the hot water I run in the bath tub is dirty looking.What do I do with that?

Old 06-21-04, 08:37 PM
G
What was the vinegar supposed to do? Or... how did a weak acid like vinegar do anything but cause the bacteria to produce slime to protect themselves? Who's idea was that!

As to the dirty water now in your heater, I don't know but maybe re-read above about draining and flushing your heater although dirty water is probably coming in with the cold water, no?

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 08:30 AM
S
It was my idea for the vinegar as I thought it wouldn,t hurt anything in the system as it is natural.I heard putting bleach in the well could harm the water softner and it probaly isn,t any good in the septic tank.i use it for cleaning and sanitizing the kitchen and bath.

Old 06-23-04, 09:59 AM
G
Using vinegar may not have hurt anything but it didn't do more than make the water dirty either. I've never heard of using vinegar in a well and I don't suggest it. Anytime you put things in a well you should by-pass all water treatment equipment and then sanitize it separately.

True, chlorine harms softener and other resins and chorinated water such as caused by shocking a well should not be introduced into them or into a septic system. By pass the equipment and run a garden hose somewhere. Shocking a well can also make the problem that you're wanting to cure worse. It can also cause pump and water quality problems. Some of which are difficult and expensive to cure but... although I'm not a big fan of shocking wells, there are times when it must be done.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-24-04, 07:44 PM
L
librooks
Visiting Guest
My Water Problems

I have a whole-house filter for cold water (between the water coming into the house and the water softener) and another whole-house filter between the water going to the hot water heater and the hot water heater. I discovered (just tonight, in fact) that I need to change those filters (especially the first one) once a month! Otherwise the water starts to stink.

Old 06-24-04, 09:23 PM
G
The stink will be caused by bacteria of some type but suspect reducing types.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-25-04, 12:37 PM
S
Yesterday I had the water conditioning company come in and check out the system.They changed one filter and said everything else was fine.he also adjusted the water softner to discharge in the middle of the night as the timing was somewhat off due to the power failures we had.

Old 06-26-04, 11:17 AM
G
Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that the cartrdiges were being changed oin a timely basis. But I did mention they would have an effect on the hot water. I should have also asked what type of cartrdiges, carbon should not be used on water of unknown microbiological content. Doing so can cause odor problems.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 10-15-04, 08:44 AM
Culligan 'Super S' filter vs. other options?

I have smelly water too, a hydrogen sulfide problem.
Culligan recommends the Super S filter to resolve
it.

The Culligan sales person told me the Super S filter sells for $2600.
Also, I can rent it for $43/month.
Either way sounds pricey to me, but I never
had to deal with this kind of problem before.

Are there more cheaper and effective ways to deal with my
problem? I'm interested in a whole house solution, not
just a drinking water (Kitchen tap) solution.
thanks.

Old 10-17-04, 09:37 PM
G
The Super S uses Pyrolox and some bleach once a month or air injection? They want way to much and they don't use industry standard tanks or control valves and you need special tools to work on their control valve (Fleck based).

I like an air pump system (many companies have them) followed by a backwashed Centaur filter to remove any H2S the air doesn't get (very rare) but really to remove any color the oxidation causes. Buying over the internet you'd save a number of hundreds of bucks even if you hired someone to install one. And they are very simple to install.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 06:30 PM
C
Smelly water

This is for Gary...he seems to know what is going on. My son just rented a house. He has that rotten egg smell in his laundry room....but also clear across the house in bathrooms. It's not just the hot water....that smell is in those rooms all the time.

The house did not stand vacant. One tenant was there for two years, and my son moved in the next day.

What to do?

Crystaldeedee

Old 09-08-10, 06:46 PM
B
Crystaldeedee

Note that Gary Slusser has been banned from this forum so you should not expect a response from him here.

Old 09-13-10, 03:44 AM
D
Thumbs down

Crystaldeedee

Is it a light rotten egg/sulfer smell or does it burn your nose?

Is the pipes/sink's marked up and or covered with black substance?

You dont mention anything for info; is there an existing water filtration system, is there not one at all?

Maybe the last tenant's could stand the smell but your brother cannot? (maybe they couldn't tell of the lighter sent since they were smoker's and their scence of smell is depleted due to smoking vs. a non-smoker who notices it a way lot more?

I assume your not on city water and it's well water?

Put some info in and let me know!

Old 09-13-10, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crystaldeedee View Post
This is for Gary...he seems to know what is going on. My son just rented a house. He has that rotten egg smell in his laundry room....but also clear across the house in bathrooms. It's not just the hot water....that smell is in those rooms all the time.

The house did not stand vacant. One tenant was there for two years, and my son moved in the next day.

What to do?

Crystaldeedee
I've seen where the water in the pee trap will smell. Everytime you turn on the water, the smell is there. This will not happen in every sink. I've instructed my clients to pour a little bleach in the drain. If it's in the incoming water, you have to treat that first.