Water Softener resin replacement

Old 07-07-04, 02:24 PM
Mark Whitcomb
Visiting Guest
Smile Water Softener resin replacement

My water softener is 15 years old and does not work as well as it did when it was newer. I am thinking that replacing the resin will help. Does anyone know where to buy replacement resin and how much I should pay for it ? Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Old 07-07-04, 03:29 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most any water treatment dealer can sell you resin and there are many web sites that will sell it but.... maybe there's not much wrong with your resin and it's something else that's wrong with the softener. What brand control valve or softener do you have?

Maybe the resin needs a good cleaning or your water use is more now than years ago and you need a bit higher salt dose. Or to clen the brine tank of sludge if you use pelletized salt. If it's a time clock regenerated unit, are you sure you wouldn't want a demand/metered control valve type softener instead of throwing money into resin?

What is the softener doing or not doing?

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Old 07-08-04, 06:35 AM
Mark Whitcomb
Visiting Guest
My control is an Autotrol 155. I have cleaned the brine tank, and raised the salt setting and the water still doesn't seem as soft as it once was. How do I clean the resin ?

Mark

Old 07-09-04, 07:52 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dissolve a cup of Iron Out, Super Iron Out, Rust Out etc. into a gallon of warm water. Then pour that into the water in the brine tank. Add/rinse 3 gallons of water to the brine water, wait 2+ hours for the water to dissolve the salt and then do a manual regeneration. Repeat this 1-2 times with as little water use between regenerations as possible.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Old 07-24-09, 09:27 AM
A
Old softener not working

You may want to try taking the injector out and soaking it in a little ironout. If it plugs you will not pull the correct amount of brine into the softener and not clean the resin fully. Check also the brine level in the tank. If it is unusually high or low that would indicate a plugged brine regulator. (The thing that has the numbers printed on the plug) Don't depend on those numbers, they aren't really calibrated after you have used the softener for a couple of months.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: