Is the Culligan Gold softener worth the $$?

Old 07-14-04, 08:33 AM
ksponsell
Visiting Guest
Is the Culligan Gold softener worth the $$?

I had the Culligan man over last night to analyze my water. Seems that the water hardness is 20 grains which is ridiculously high. Culligan is a respected name but I'm just wondering if $2100 is too much for a softener. The price includes installation, just seems to me that I could get one from Sears installed for half of that price. He's also pushing the 3 stage water filter, seems that while most bottled water is about a 60 for particulate matter ours was 360 parts. Again really, really high. That filter was $1255 installed. If someone can tell me if these are worth it or if there are comparable alternatives that are cheaper but just as effective I'd appreciate it. I'm new to all of this having been a city person all my life, moving to the country and having to deal with hard water is something I've never had to deal with.

Old 07-15-04, 03:21 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've treated water as hard as 136 gpg so your 20 gpg is quite common. But their prices, although less than many I hear of, are moderately high on the softener but the $1255 filter!!! That's way too much for any drinking water filter but, actually it's a RO (reverse osmosis) system. They reduce TDS (total dissolved solids) and you have 360 ppm TDS. Right? But their demo RO needs help... it can only reduce 360 ppm to 60! If I'm wrong and it isn't a RO, then they're lying, drinking water filters can not reduce TDS.

You can do much better price wise and when it comes to the cost of repair, if you buy over the internet and install it your self or hire that done. I suggest that you look into softeners using the Clack WS-1 and Fleck 7000 control valves. Both are nonproprietary and any local dealer that wants to can service them or you can buy the parts from thousands of web sites and replace a part yourself. And there's no control valve easier to repair than the Clack WS-1.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: