Whole house filter reduces pressure

Old 07-17-04, 07:19 PM
timlake
Visiting Guest
Whole house filter reduces pressure

I have a well, pressure tank, whole house filter, water softner. I show 40psi at the pressure tank but don't have that pressure at any of the spickets in the home. I put the filter and the water softner in bypass mode and it doesn't change anything. However, I have quite a bit of sediment in my water and have to replace it once every month to month and a half. Does this whole house filter kill my pressure (even w/ a new filter)? Should I place this filter before my pressure tank as water enters the home from the well pump? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-04, 11:45 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You never want anything between a pump and its control pressure switch. Doing so can lead to blowing the pumbing or "whole house" filter housing.

It sounds as if you have something else that is reducing your pressure. Maybe a bad stop valve or blocked faucet tip aerators or in the plumbing.

You rwell pump has a pressure range, like 30/50 or 40/60, not a constant pressure as you stated. Get a pressure gauge that attaches to an outside faucet and see what the pressure is with no water running in the house and with water running. They are about $10.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Old 07-18-04, 08:22 PM
timlake
Visiting Guest
Large capacity whole house filter

Thanks for the response. I will leave the whole house filter where it is then. I will also do what you said and check the pressure at a faucet.

I went to Lowe's today and saw a large capacity whole house filter by Whirlpool. Would this be better in my home since I have 7 people using water?

Bryce

Old 07-19-04, 09:13 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Describe their "whole house" filter in detail. Is it POE (point of entry)? How large? Does it backwash? What mineral/media does it use? Does it regenerate? What is its SFR (service flow rate)?

Or... does it use disposable cartridges?

What and how much of it is in your water? Why do you want to remove it?

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: