Brown water?

Old 07-28-04, 08:28 AM
r71cuda
Visiting Guest
Brown water?

I have a new house with a well. We have been in the house for a month now and have had issue's with smelly water and brown water. Our well is 78 ft deep and I was told by the well company to pour bleach down the well to clorinate it. I did that yesterday and the smell has for the most part gone away, at least for now, but we do still have very brown water. When I fill up the sink with water it has a very noticable brown tint or color to it. Water tests show 5mg iron per liter which I was told was high. I do have a water softner installed, but I am looking for solutions for these issue's. Anyone know if an automatic backwashing iron filter will do the trick or should I think about a new well that is deeper? The company I am looking at for an iron filter is Big Iron Drilling and they sell the "IronEater" system for about $1700.

Any help is much appreaciated.

Scott

Old 07-30-04, 01:53 PM
r71cuda
Visiting Guest
Anybody have any idea's about this?

Old 07-30-04, 08:04 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes an iron filter that will remove both ferrous and ferric iron, which you may have in your water. But then you may not have ferric iron (rust) you may have tannins or colloidal iron. I suggest a water test to be sure.

Ferric iron is not good for a softener and a regular softener won't remove tannins or colloidal iron.

I didnt' study their site but with a quick glance I see the ironeater is using fine mesh resin and Pyrolox. Any resin manufacturer will tell you that ferric iron (again rusty) will prevent any resin from being able to remove ferrous iron and hardness. Pyrolox being in the bottom of the softener, lighter resin classifies on top, doesn't remove/reduce hardness. I wouldn't sell that uit for your water although I see they say 25 ppm iron and ferric iron and on'n on... they'd have to show me first but... you can buy the same thing on the internet for much less than their prices or you can buy an iron filter to clarify your water and remove the iron. That takes the load off the softener.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Old 08-06-04, 01:08 PM
r71cuda
Visiting Guest
Tannin's

Thanks for the reply Gary. Here's some new info. I did have some test done by an independant company. I have 5.05 PPM of iron, 0 iron bacteria, hardness is 12, almost 0 nitrates and no coloform bacteria. Big Iron drilling came out today to recommend a unit for me and to do their own tests. I showed him how I can fill up my white sink with softened or unsoftened water and it is a yellow/brownish color that looks clear out of the tap, but shows up when filling a sink. He says I have tannin's in the water and recommended not only an iron filter but also a new softner/tannin filter system. Of course the price is outragous and I will not be going that route, but heres my question... Will a greensand iron filter remove tannin's or is there something else that can be done?

Thanks again,
Scott

Old 08-06-04, 01:49 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry a geensand filter will not cure a tannin problem, and who wants to use potassium permanganate! An expensive poison. A tannin filter will, they use an anion resin and regenerate with softener salt just like a softener; because they are a softener with a different type of resin as the only difference. You can do much better price wise if you buy over the internet and install it yourself. I see no reason to replace a good softener...

Top dressing a softener (adding some tannin resin on top of cation softener resin) may not remove all the tannins. I'd suggest an erosion pellet inline chlorinator, a special mixing/retention tank and then a Centaur carbon filter and then the softener (and then maybe top dress the softener).

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: