GE Softener (GXSF23Z01) Question (Gary HELP please!)

Old 10-27-04, 02:34 PM
renoscarab
Visiting Guest
Question GE Softener (GXSF23Z01) Question (Gary HELP please!)

Gary (since you are the resident expert) - I have the GE Softener (GXSF23Z01), owned it about 3 years. It stopped using salt, and I think I discovered the problem. I was pouring the whole bag of pellets in, and the little pieces in the bottom of the bag had accumulated at the bottom of my brine tank over the years and blocked the water flom flowing in to the black tube that holds the float.

So, I cleaned every bit of salt and water out, and started out fresh. I put three bags of pellets in, and screened out the little pieces. I have cycled it twice, and when it is done the water level in the brine tank is about 8-10 inches above the salt. The people at GE Helpline didn't know where it should be, but on the Kenmore Animation on other threads it shows it as being 3-5 inches from the bottom.

Is my brine tank water level too high? I pulled out the valve assembly, and it little T-Stem at the bottom seems to be somewhat sticky. I can blow water from one end of the hose in the valve assembly out the other end when it is disconnected from the venturi. I am considering ordering a new valve assembly (#29 on the PartSelect.com page.)

Thanks, Dave

Old 10-28-04, 10:44 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The pellets cause that fine stuff (salt granules) in the bottom of the tank when thye break up. To prevent the build up, don't use pellet or block salt, use solar salt. It totally dissolves and leaves no build up.

The volume of water in the brine tank is established by the salt dose the control is setup to use. You get 2.7 lb (stated as 3) for each gallon of water the control puts into the brine tank. All brine tanks will have an amount of water that can not be sucked out during the brine/slow rinse cycle of the regeneration. The lowest water level will be at the height of the air check which prevents air being sucked into the unit when all the water that can be sucked out of the tank is sucked out. Normally that level is not seen because the softener will add the water to the brine tank, based on the salt dose used, at the end of this regeneration. That's unless you have a variable reserve type control like the Clack WS-1 and Fleck 7000 and 6700 (possibly the 600 too). They add the water for the salt dose to be used at the begining of this regeneration (at midnight) and then continue to soften water until 2:00 when this regeneration starts. That's called dry brined as opposed to wet brined.

So the volume of brine water is normally specific to your softener but.... the big box stores usually are preset. That's usually not the best for your house. In some/many? instances with low priced softeners, the salt dose is set by the height of the float.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 03:19 PM
renoscarab
Visiting Guest
Water movement

Should I see movement of the water during the process? I watched an entire cycle, and the water didn't appear to move at all. Should the level be going up and down? Thanks again for your valuable input.

Old 10-28-04, 08:09 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes it should go down to the air check level and then during brine refill rise to where it is supposed to stop. So it's not sucking brine water. If you can't find out why then you'll have to call for service.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 06:34 PM
renoscarab
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Old 07-19-07, 05:35 PM
J
GE water softner GSFX23Z01

I have made several repairs to my water softner over the last 5 years and each time when finished the timing motor is out of sequence and I get ERR 01. After much trial and error I finally luck out and get it back in sequence. Isn't there some way to reset it? Also under ERR01 it says control(PWA) may be the problem. What does this mean. Thank You. I hope you are still around as last posts I see are really old.

Last edited by Jeff T; 07-19-07 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: