Culligan Mark 100 Settings

Old 12-29-04, 11:33 AM
jimboha
Visiting Guest
Culligan Mark 100 Settings

I just had my softener repaired and the repair 'updated' the settings for me. But it looks suspicious - can anyone confirm the math?

hardness: 28 gpg
iron: unkown [may be already included as compensated hardness?]
Water usage: 7 people
17,000 gal/month

He set it for 12 lbs salt every 10 days.

According to my math, this is almost 600 gallons per day times 30 gpg = 18,000 grains. Which should be perhaps 6 lbs per day or mayber 12 every 2 days. My result is almost 10 times different - have I misunderstood the calculations?

Many thanks.

Jim

PS Yes, this may also mean that we are almost exceeding the capacity of the softener. It was installed in '96 when we were a smaller. younger family.

Old 12-29-04, 08:46 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have to know the volume and type of resin to figure this out but yes, 17000/30days says you use 567 gal/day. That times 30gpg =17010 grains/day. A 1 cuft softener with regular mesh resin and 6 lb salt dose gives 20K of capacity and it would have to regenerate every day. So what size softener do you have?

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 09:56 PM
jimboha
Visiting Guest
Let's see, the spec sheet says the exchange media is Cullex, 0.86 cuft. With 12lb Cullsan underbed. The tank is 9"x43" external dimensions - does the volume sound right?

The spec sheet also shows 20K per 6lb salt dose, so I'm guessing it's 1 cuft.

What you said agrees with what I worked out - at 12lbs it would need to regen every day and a half, or 6lbs every day. [They only provide a crude table to work this out, no formulas.]

I'm thinking now that the Culligan repairman must have missed a zero somewhere. But I would have expected him to realize that this size can't soften that much hardness for so much water by regening every 10 days. It didn't seem right to me.

Thanks for the sanity check - I'll go change the settings now.

Jim

Old 12-30-04, 07:43 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's less than a 1 cuft (.86'). That say to me that the SFR is way too small for a family of 7 with more than 1-2 bathrooms. And remember that if your daily water use exceeds the 20K of capacity, you get hard water because there's little to no reserve capacity built into the setting. IMO you need a much larger softener to prevent those (SFR and no reserve) problems plus to save a substantial amount of salt and water.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 06:04 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: