Low pH in well water

Old 01-24-05, 08:08 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low pH in well water

I recently moved into an older home that has well water. I have noticed a blue green coloring of my sinks and tubs. I had the pH tested and it is 6.0. I was told that this could be the source of my problem. How do I treat a low pH? Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-25-05, 07:52 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's right and if you let it go, expect serious thinning of the tubing wall and pinhole leaks in the tubing. Usually you buffer the pH with a sacrificial mineral filter or solution feeder.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 11:43 AM
H
Thanks for the info. Now, where would I get such items and are they easy to install? I have always had city water and am not sure how to deal with a well. Thanks!

Old 01-26-05, 04:39 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Many web sites sell the equipment along with local franchise and independent water treatment dealers tha tyou ca nfind in your yellow pages. I suggest a backwashed filter as opposed to an upflow. The upflow types usually require a prefilter or will block up and cause pressure/flow losses; which a prefilter will too. Eother type will add hardness to the water and the amount will in your case, about 4-6 grains per gallon.

The other choice is a solution feeder feeding a mixture of soda ash and water that you have to mix and adjust the pump to inject into your plumbing just before a retention tank of between 40 to 120 gals depending on the gpm of the water use.

Prices will be best on the 'net and anyone with the desire to install ther own filter/softener can do it in about 2-3 hours for maybe $100 if they have to buy the soldering kit and channel lock pliers adn an adjustable wrench.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 03:23 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: