brown, frothy water in my salt tank

Old 01-30-05, 01:00 PM
mc303
Visiting Guest
brown, frothy water in my salt tank

I have brown, frothy water in my salt tank, part of a 4-tank water softening system for my well. I first noticed this during the holidays, but after rinsing the tank one or two weeks in a row all seemed normal. Then I found a few weeks later I was using no salt. I completely cleaned the injector, screen and hose between the brine tank and the one with the assembly on top. At this point water once again flowed and salt used as normal. A week or so later I once again see the brown, "muddy" water in the salt tank.
We never have noticed any change in water color or odor at the tap, but I am concerned I'll soon have to clean the brine fittings again. By the way, our main contaminant is sulfur and the resulting sulfur bacteria which accumulates in the tank closest to the well. To fight this I scrub and rinse this tank every few weeks.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is, and what I can do to remedy it?
Thanks,
B.Baker.

Old 01-30-05, 08:41 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Solar crystal salt can cause a brown ring at the water line around the inside of the brine tank but this sounds like more than that. Solar crystal's brown dirty ring won't block injectors etc. though so it sounds like SRB problems. Call those you bought the system from and get their opinion. The only way to treat the SRB is to kill them and there are a number of ways to do that; chlorine, ozone and hydrogen peroxide but not UV.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-31-05, 11:40 AM
Moli
Visiting Guest
I had a bad experience using supermarket "store brand" solar salt crystals. It had a *lot* of silt (I'm talking a lot). The salt at the bottom of the brine tank looked like road slush, and the water had a scummy film on it. No froth, but the film would probably hold bubbles if I blew in it with a straw.

If you're not already doing so, I'd suggest using a name-brand like Morton's.

Old 01-31-05, 12:39 PM
I have had this dirty salt problem, the problem went away when I switched to "Morton Pellets". I would also sanitize the system by regenerating with a cup of chorine added to the tank.

Old 01-31-05, 05:05 PM
mc303
Visiting Guest
The only dumb question...

I admit to being fairly new to this rural lifestyle, and to having a well. Could someone please tell me what SRB(s) is/are? Is it some kind of bacteria in the softener system?
Thanks for all the great replies!
BBaker.

Old 01-31-05, 07:58 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pellets and/or block salt cause more problems than any brand of solar crystal salt.

SRB is sulfate reducing bacteria. Harmless but they cause odor problems if they colonize a softener etc.. To sanitize a softener, add a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of non-scented bleach to the brine water and do a manual regneration. When the control gets into brine draw/slow rinse, unplug the unit and wait 20 minutes then plug it in and let it finish the regeneration.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 02:32 PM
mc303
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions, and will let you know how it goes. I'm glad I found this great resource!
BBaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: