Filter installation

Old 04-06-05, 09:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Filter installation

I have clay soil in my well water so I bought a filter to install myself . I discovered that the pipe coming from the well to the pressure tank (once it gets inside the garage) is very short and has a pressure valve and shut off valve and it's about two inches from the floor which is the heighth at which it enters the tank. How do you install a filter in this situation?The filter housing is 14" tall and needs 2" more to change the filter cartridge so is this going to involve raising the pressure tank and changing the pipes ?

Old 04-06-05, 11:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Take a picture of your situation if you can. Go to www.photobucket.com and post a link of your picture from there.

Sounds like you will have to change direction in the piping by a set of 90's, then get the filter positioned where you can change the filter with no problems.

Old 04-26-05, 03:36 PM
pb4021
Visiting Guest
not that i am a expert but we had some problems with sand,dirt coming into the system and we had the well people come out and look at the pump.
long story short----they said it happens and the screen will not stop everything but a pre-filter would help.
so I went and got a whole house filter 14" and put it on after the pressure tank but before the softner.
man, that filter would last no more than a month and my water pressure would drop to nothing after a few weeks.
trust me...if you are getting a fair amount of soil or sand then you might wanna think about getting a larger filter that can be backwashed (or a spindown filter).
we got the backwash filter and I tell ya!
it's made a world of a difference BUT since we have HIGH iron it needs to be backwashed every other day and I dont expect to get more than a few years out of the media. (better than changing those little filters 40-50 times at 4 bucks a pop).
again, i am just sharing my opinion and not to be considered an expert.
I just hate to see you go through the trouble of putting it in and finding out the hard way, you need to refit the plumming for a larger filter
like me..lol

oh, and like you- we could not possibly fit a filter in the water closet before the pressure tank,thats why we had to put the filter After the pressure tank.
not sure how bad that was but it would mean knocking down the water closet and moving the tank away from the concrete wall.

Last edited by pb4021; 04-26-05 at 09:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: