Kenmore Ultra Soft 400 Water softener

Old 08-11-05, 03:53 PM
abora64
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Ultra Soft 400 Water softener

We have had our Kenmore Ultra Soft 400 Water softener since 2001. It has been working fine until lately. I went out check on the tank and the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 is packed solid with salt. I could not find anything in the owners manuel nor the internet on this problem. Any information would be helpful.

Old 08-15-05, 07:41 AM
reubanks
Visiting Guest
That's weird. You sure it isn't a salt bridge with an air gap below that solid salt? If it's not a salt bridge then you might need to disconnect the plumbing to it and then turn it on the side and start carefully chipping. You can probably bang on the side of the blue tank with your hand to see if you can start breaking away. The remove the broken up salt.

It sounds like the unit wasn't used for a while or it didn't regenerate properly and didn't flush correctly.

Once you get the thing all cleaned out then you should probably run a "regenerate now" and let it clean things out.

Old 04-11-07, 12:17 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Sears Kenmore Water Softeners. I have a simliar problem.

Originally Posted by abora64 View Post
We have had our Kenmore Ultra Soft 400 Water softener since 2001. It has been working fine until lately. I went out check on the tank and the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 is packed solid with salt. I could not find anything in the owners manuel nor the internet on this problem. Any information would be helpful.
Same kind of problem. It's all a racket with service calls and/or pre-paid extra service warrantees with these big retail corporations. Products designed to fail or at least due to consumers lack of experience like mine. Be smart and do it yourself like the guy said:

I would try to take a shop vac in the "wet vac" mode. When the salt is below level 2 (on my machine anyway), be cautioned regeneration wil not work and you will get iron in the water ( resulting in iron stains in pipes and toilets and showers etc.).

What you want to do when the salt is in the level 1 range is "wet vac" out the 2- 3 inches of water on the bottom. Disconnect the plumbing (after shutting the water off of course!)

Tip the water softener over and empty out the salt or chip out the salt bridge if any.

Suck out exess junk in the bottom of the brine well. You can even take the brine well (long black tube) off to do this, (clean out the bottom circle slot where it fits).

Put it all back together and run the proper amount of "Iron Out" product to clean out the system at night (you need the water back on, dude). You can find Iron Out at TSC type stores in large plastci containers for a lot less than Sears sells thier cleaning stuff in the little plastic container. It's a rip off.

Clean your softener more often - everytime you add a 40 pound bag of salt run the right amount of Iron Out through the whole regeneration phase.

Old 04-11-07, 12:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A trick that has been working nicely for me has been to only put as much salt in the brine tank as you need to cover the water. The more salt in the brine tank, the more weight on the salt at the bottom, and the greater the possibility of bridging or mushing.

If you get a salt bridge then hot tap water will dissolve it in short order. Avoid trying to break the chunk as you'll likely damage the brine tank or the float assembly.

I slowly add a gallon of hot tap water down the brine tube (where the float lives) once a month and that seems to keep the salt happy.

If you're using salt (NaCl) it's a good idea to clean out the brine tank at least once a year. You'll be surprised what you find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: