RO unit getting worse pressure

Old 08-30-05, 07:55 AM
Mk010101
Visiting Guest
RO unit getting worse pressure

I have an older kenmore RO unit. A few months ago we noticed the volume of water coming out of the system getting lower and lower. We used to be able to almost fill up about 3/4 of a gallon at one time before it needed to be filled up again. Now, however, I can't even get a glassful before the pressure drops to nothing. It was a slow drop in pressure and volume over 2 months.

A month ago, I changed the two filters. This did nothing to the decline of pressure and volume. Then I replaced the membrane, thinking this could be the problem. Again, no dice. So, now what?

The instructions with the membrane installation also wanted me to put in a new flow control thing which is incredibly small. I tried doing it per the instructions, but the force I needed to get the currently installed little flow control thing out seems liked I was going to break the whole machine. This is the flow control that is used for the 1/4" red pipe--the waste water outlet. Could this be causing the problem? How does one take this little piece of plastic out of the flow control so that a new one can be installed?

There is also a tank which for some reason or another doesn't seem to be used, but it is installed correctly. This is a side issue for now as all I want is to be able to get the filter running smoothly again.

Thanks for any help! I hope I made this clear enough.

Old 09-01-05, 05:01 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The tank that doesn't seem to be used, IS used and is more than likely your problem........that's your storage tank for the R/O water.........inside the tank is a bladder that the water is in....outside of the bladder is air pressure.....over time the air bleeds out of the tank.....when this happens you have nothing squeezing the bladder......shut down the R/O, disconnect the tank, take it outside, open valve to let water drain, on the bottom of the tank is an air stem which you will hook up an aid source, pump air into the tank until the water stops flowing, then set the pressure at 10#'s.......once you've done that, shake the tank, if you still hear water sloshing around inside then the bladder may have ripped........replace the tank......as far as the flow control.......it's there to put back pressure on the membrane......if the old one still works and is not clogged ( still gettin water from ddrain line )then using the old fc should be ok

Old 09-01-05, 07:29 AM
Mk010101
Visiting Guest
hey thanks, I will give that a try tonight.

Old 09-01-05, 06:41 PM
Mk010101
Visiting Guest
Ok, I emptied the tank, but when I put the air pump on it, the air exits out the top where the pipe goes. If I hold my thumb over the top and pump air into it then let it go, it really rushes out. Does that mean the inside of the bladder is broken and I need a new tank? Thanks!!

Old 09-02-05, 05:01 AM
J
Yes...you need to replace the tank......you might have better luck goin to a local water conditioning company rather than tryin to get a replacement tank from sears....

Old 09-05-05, 07:04 AM
Mk010101
Visiting Guest
Yes, that worked, thanks! I do appreciate your help!

Old 09-05-05, 07:23 AM
J
glad i could help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: