Kinetico Verses Rainsoft?

Old 09-11-05, 03:06 PM
KGKing
Visiting Guest
Kinetico Verses Rainsoft?

I am cosidering replacing my 18 year old Kinectico water softner, and R.O unit, with a new Rainsoft water softner, and R.O. unit. Is this a good thing, or should I replace it with a new Kinetico? They , the salesman that is, said that the Kinetico is only capable of 700 ppm, or gpm? While the Rainsoft can do three times as much? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-05, 03:37 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would start with some questions......why, after 18 years, would you need to replace your system?.........did it quit working?.......is the resin failing?.....did the membrane in your r/o fail?........whatever the reason, it is ALOT cheaper to have the whole system rebuilt, rather than buying new........ a salesman trying to sell you equiptment tells you that your system only handles 700 gpg????........so he's telling you, who have been using this for 18 years, it won't work on your house.....I would have thought you would have noticed a long time ago that the system wasn't working......not tryin to sound rude, just using a little common sense.......the unit he is tryin to sell you has an electric head on it with a circuit board not unlike the monitor you are reading this on.......put your monitor over a tank of water and a couple of hundred pounds of salt ........I can get you a data sheet on Kinetico systems if you would like one, or your dealer will be more than glad to......keep in touch

Old 09-13-05, 04:59 PM
KGKing
Visiting Guest
Kinetico again?

Thank you for your reply. And yes, I have noticed that my water wsa not as "soft" as it should be. I did have the Kinectico granules? replaced a while back, maybe five years ago. I have also replaced the R.O. cartridges, and filters. I do notice that the icemaker ice is not clear. Is R.O. water supposed to make it clear?I still have a calcium, and lime build-up on my shower heads as well. Does this mean that the Kinectioco is not working, or outside the realm of it's ability? I don't mind spending money to get something better, by the same token, am I throwing good money after bad by replacing the Kinetico?

Old 09-14-05, 06:03 AM
J
You had the resin replaced 5 years ago........have you had the unit checked out lately?.......you also need to have the incoming water tested to make sure it hasn't changed any........are you still using salt?..........is it the same amount (roughly) that you have always used?.......yes, your ice is supposed to be clear.......you need to have the TDS checked........look, my opinion is, and this is just my opinion, you won't find anything better......every other company in the book will try to discourage you from dealing with Kinetico (like giving you completley FALSE numbers) for one simple reason.................... they can't build it.......let me know what area you're in, I will get you some price comparisons to look at for repairing your equiptment.....

Old 09-14-05, 01:31 PM
KGKing
Visiting Guest
Area, R.O.

I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I am still using salt, I would guess at the same rate. And I thought the R.O. ice was supposed to be clear also. Thank you again for all the advice. I have to ask though, is it your opinion that the Kenetico is a better unit than Rainsoft? Do they both "clean" the same?

Old 09-14-05, 07:15 PM
J
All softners are going to "clean" the water the same as far as hard minerals and iron......the Kinetico regenerates with soft water from the other tank instead of putting itself in bypass and regenerating with hard water........that helps the resin last much longer.......my kinetico unit was purchased in 1985 by my dad, then moved to my house 3 years ago.......to answer your question, it's not that I think Kinetico is better than rainsoft, I think it's, by far, better than any electric softner

Old 09-16-05, 04:57 AM
KGKing
Visiting Guest
local

I will have a chance today to stop by the Kentico office in town and speak with them. I will "post" the results!

Old 09-16-05, 01:51 PM
KGKing
Visiting Guest
Kentico Won!

I stopped by the local dealer for kentico this afternoon, what a pleasant experiance The sales person was short, to the point knowleagable, and a pleasure! I have purchased a new Kentico, and R.O. unit for less than the Rainsoft! I will have it installed next week, and am looking forward to it! Apparently my R.O. had stopped working, and my softner was working off and on. Thank you for the advice. Love the sight!

Old 09-16-05, 08:02 PM
J
Glad to hear it.....keep in touch if you have anything else

Old 09-17-05, 07:51 AM
Samedis
Visiting Guest
I am also thinking about Kinetico. My problem is the salesperson is acting very wierd about the warranty. He says I am the only person who has ever ask to see it and the company does not have it printed because "do not want it out there floating around". Would you please pass on information about your warranty and the price you have paid. I am quoted $3100. for the softener only. What do you all think?
Thanks

Old 09-18-05, 07:21 AM
J
The warranty is for 10 years on parts.........i'll see if i can get ahold of something in writing.....you receive the info after your unit is installed and the warranty is registered.......$3100 is a good price....what medel are you lookin at?

Old 09-25-05, 01:17 PM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Samedis
I am also thinking about Kinetico. My problem is the salesperson is acting very wierd about the warranty. He says I am the only person who has ever ask to see it and the company does not have it printed because "do not want it out there floating around". Would you please pass on information about your warranty and the price you have paid. I am quoted $3100. for the softener only. What do you all think?
Thanks
In my opinion, no residential softener is worth $3100.00, unless it were like a 7 cuft or larger and then also a twin tank model.

There are many twin alternating type softeners; Autotrol has one and the Clack can be set up the same as the Autotrol but Fleck Controls makes the most models on all manufacturers. They have the TwinFlo100E (it has a pre service purge rinse of the tank going on line before it goes in service; no volume of stagnant water), the 9000 (brass) and the 9100 (Noryl) control valves for twin tank models. All twin tank models use softened water out of the tank that is in service to regenerate the tank that just was taken off line into an immediate regeneration. IOWs, you share your water pressure with that tank's water use. Also, the brand you mention is nonelectric, which in many cases is a disadvantage but also may require prefiltration where most (Fleck and Clack) electric powered control valves don't and shouldn't be prefiltered. That's my opinion based on many years of servicing softeners with and without prefilters on well water. A lot of that was on problem well water with 1+ ppm of iron etc..

Old 07-13-08, 05:19 AM
A
Not all TWINS are the same

Not sure what was meant by being non-electric as a disadvantage. Interested statement.

This is a 9 year old Fleck Twin 9000 that was replaced with a MACH 2175. Numerous attempts to resolve problems failed. It hasn't been working for years and damage in plumbing was evident.

This K-100 is 27 years old and still working fine. The water is 64 gpg and 3 ppm iron. He never uses water at 2 AM but the resins have lasted nearly 30 years.
CLICK to enlarge

Here is a K-60 was installed in 1979 and still plugging away. The water is 27 gpg and 2 ppm iron. Cold and hot both showed soft and iron-free. Owner called to see about an upgrade but there was no need.

This K-45 has been working since 1984 and Orwell would be proud.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: