Damages caused by water hardness

Old 10-05-05, 07:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damages caused by water hardness

I just moved into our new house which has water supplied by a well. The town did the potability test and I noticed that the hardness reading was 11gpg, iron @ 0, manganese @ 0, sulphur @ 0 and 7.5ph.

I called a water treatment company and they recommended that I install a water softner. I want to make sure they are not just trying to sell me something. We have been in the house for 3 weeks and I have not noticed any "water spots" on glasses / shower door or noticed its difficult making a lather. At what level of hardness does pipe scaling accur? Would I be promoting scaling if I did not put in a softner? Should I wait a period of time for the well to "settle down" and have the water re-tested before I determine what my needs are?

Old 10-05-05, 07:41 AM
J
11 grains is hard, not ludicrous hard but hard none the less. I'd want a softener.

Here's a thought ... if your house is easily plumbed for a softener and there's a Culligan dealer around you can rent one and try it out. A friend had one put in and was charged $99 for the installation and $20 a month for the softener rental. He ultimately decided he wanted a softener. He had Culiigan remove the rental after 2 months and bought his own.

With 11 g water I think you'll like the softener.

Old 10-06-05, 08:13 AM
D
Thanks for the info. Since this is a brand new well, do have any idea if the grains change over time? Is it possible that the grains could decrease / increase or does the grains remain constant regardless of the age of the well?

Old 10-06-05, 01:59 PM
J
Your water may fluctuate over time but I doubt it will drop from 11 grains to zero grains so a water softener should be considered.

Have you asked your neighbors on wells what they are doing about the water? Have you had the water company you talked to out to test your water, make recommendations, and quote a price?

I'd get the people you called to come out and call another local company for comparison. If they give you the same recommendations and their prices are reasonable I'd consider the one who your trust will provide service after the sale.

If there's a Culligan dealer around you can rent (to satisfy yourself) as I said in an earlier post

In the long run a softener will pay for itself in less wear and tear on plumbling and fixtures, and way less detergent used. Around here people replace their water heaters every 1.5 to 2 years ... mine has been in service for 10 years on softened water.

At 11 grains hardness I don't think there's any way you won't love a water softener. If you deal with a local company that can service both your softener and your well you'll eliminate one of your worries for service.

As always, free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: