Iron Filter causes low house pressure

Old 10-15-05, 09:05 AM
twice
Visiting Guest
Iron Filter causes low house pressure

We moved into our hous 6 years ago. There was an iron filter and water softener already installed when we moved in. Aside from adding salt to the water softener, I haven't done anything to maintain the systme. Now, over the past year or so, my husband and I have noticed a drastic drop in pressure. We got sick of it and started by passing the systems one by one to discover that when we by-pass the iron filter; it returns to "normal".

The iron filter works, as the water isn't bright orange like when the filter is by-passed. But I don't know what is slowing it down. I don't know anything about iron filters. Is it something I can fix? I scanned the forums before posting and saw some mention of replacing the filter media.

As for the kind of iron filter, I don't know. I looked for a brand name or model but couldn't find much. On the timer housing, it says "mermaid" (likely the company that installed it) and on the pump looking thing, it says "Thomas", though I'm guessing that is the pump manufacturer, not the whole unit manufacturer (though I don't know). There are two big metal tanks that make up the unit.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 11:12 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An easy one. Are you in Florida ? There is a company called mermaid that I know of in Florida

The media ( stuff inside the tank ) is probably manganese greensand. It gets hard , like concrete, after a while and the bottom basket will clog. In an automatic filter, it is good for roughly 20-36 months.

Potassium permanganate should be added, depending upon the system. Manual systems, every month should be regenerated. An auto system, has a mini brine tank if you will, and the pot needs to be added every 90 days.

Hope this helps. There are different companies that you can buy the material yourself. waterdepotusa.com or internetwatersupplies.com are 2 that I know of. Sometimes there are local places that you can go to.
\
Hope this helps