re water rotten egg smell!!

Old 10-19-05, 04:07 PM
tranc
Visiting Guest
re water rotten egg smell!!

hello i just built a house... i have no filtration system of any kind ... my water is rust color and has a rotten egg smell...i am going to get it tested. but my question is for the smell someone suggested cutting the anode out of my water heater.is this a good idea as for the rust is an iron filter the way to go.. i called some water cond. companies and they want around 3,000.00 for their systems any advice for a cheaper but practical way ?????? thanks for your help in advance. tranc

Old 10-19-05, 04:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have sulfhur and iron in your water. They do make softeners and filters for this. cutting out the anode is not a way to solve the problem. The anode "collects" the impurities from the water. I have seen many posts here where the member wants to change the anode. I honestly cannot say how an anode is installed at the factory, but I know it is a real PAIN to remove one. Get a bunch of estimates to correct your problem and compare them. Don't be afraid to ask direct questions of any salesperson you have. Good luck.

Old 10-20-05, 06:22 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
just because you have the rotten egg smell does not mean you have sulphur....if you do have iron in your water the odor can be caused from the bacteria in the iron..the odor is released from the water when it comes into contact with oxegyn......pulling the annode on a non chlorinated system will work

Old 10-21-05, 12:04 PM
W
Pulling the anode is ok, since you will have a filtration system. On well water to keep in an anode, you have to change it to a different materal, zinc if I remember correctly. The smell is either hydrogen sulfide or iron bacteria. I lean towards h2s myself, especially if you are in Fl.
Get the water tested first, usually you do not have iron and h2s at the same time, especially if in Florida.The system willdepend upon your water test.
hope this helps

Old 11-09-05, 12:42 PM
Tess
Visiting Guest
ACBTC-AB10 MAINTENANCE FREE Iron and Sulfur Removal Whole House Water Filter

System Benefits: No chemicals, safe for septic beds, inexpensive operation, simple design, only uses air to precipitate iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smel). Exclusive off air tank system eliminates water pipe hammering and sputter in faucets. Allows air contact time with water for better results.

Features: Timed 1" porting valve. Solid state design, only one moving contact part with water, and super quiet operation.

Uses free air to precipitate the iron and sulfide (sulfur) in your water.
1-3 bathrooms-$1258.00

Old 11-10-05, 03:12 PM
Dave Wave
Visiting Guest
If your hot water is above 140F and still smells it is your anode. If only the cold smells, probably iron bacteria. If you suspect bacteria, you can shock chlorinate the well with bleach. There are several site on the web that explain how to do this.

Old 11-10-05, 07:20 PM
J
Hey TESS !!! If you want to sell something, pay for advertising somewhere, the site is not for selling!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: