Kinetico Replacement?

Old 12-30-05, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kinetico Replacement?

We just had our 19 year old kinetico system looked at by the only company in our area that kinetico lists for service and were told that we need a $1,200 rebuild. This is on top of the $85 that they charged for the 15 minute inspection of the unit. The rebuild only comes with at 1 year warranty. I'm looking at Water Boss ($450) from Home Depot, and Krystal Pure ($900) from Lowes as replacements. Both are less than the rebuild of the Kinetico and also have better warranties. Any suggestions for a different unit, rebuilding the Kinetico, or comments on these units would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Beebow

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-06, 05:54 AM
IMO..rebuild the Kinetico.....is the $1200 a worst case??.......my unit is 21 years old and was rebuilt when I got it....4 years ago...Kinetico is offering an extended warranty at this time (check with your dealer)......I'm not sure what model you have, but your unit probably would cost 3K or more to replace......what you have is a twin tank NON -electric water softner....research it......if you place the computer you're reading this on top of 50 #'s of salt and leave it, use it every day, what's gonna happen?......ask to see a control board from the Water Boss.....then get back to me

Old 01-09-06, 03:28 PM
Kinetico makes a pretty good softener. I think $1200 to rebuild it is way too much money. I know you can buy a brand new twin-tank softener for about $800 from some of the online dealers. If you are handy you can install it yourself or have someone else do it for $100-$150. Might as well put your money into new equipment. The Fleck 9000 twin tank valve is pretty good. Kinetico is trying to be greedy in my opinion. p.s. I own a Kinetico softener that I bought in 1978.

Old 01-09-06, 05:23 PM
Wish we had our old Kinetico

We were loyal Kinetico customers for 17 years. One day we needed an infrequent service (probably 5 in 17 years). We were told the same thing. Rebuild for $1200 with little or no guarantee or buy a new and improved unit.

Well here we sit a year and a half dozen service calls later with lousy water. What happened to their product? I emailed Kinetico and they referred me back to the local dealer who had so far been no help in resolving our ongoing problem. Meanwhile, I saved a lot of money remodeling our sinks, tubs and toilets (as well as out clothing). The yellow and orange color grows on you literally.

Old 01-10-06, 07:22 AM
Seems to me that 17 years is pretty good service life for a water softener especially if you have high hardness and/or iron. In that 17 years you'd have bought 3 or 4 Sears water softeners and a few water heaters.

If that charge is for a complete rebuild with new resin and a warranty then you're ahead of the game. Way cheaper than a new Kinetico and and you know where this softener came from vs a used one.

Buy a softnener from an online dealer and it comes in parts in boxes and service is non-existant. That dealers "advice" is a timezone and long distance phone call away and parts are always UPS or FedEx away IF he stays in business.

If it were me I stick with what's worked for me for 17 years. If you want to go another route I'd shop locally for someone who will service what they sell.

Old 01-21-06, 07:29 PM
Kinetico Back Up An Running!

Thanks to everyone that offered advice on my problem. After researching all of the units out there I decided to stick with my Kinetico. Eighteen years of no maintenance is hard to argue with.

A big thank you to Andy C. for his knowledge and help with my system. I recommend anyone needing advice on any water softener system to contact him directly.

I was able to rebuild my system, replace my resin, and add a pre-filter for under $300 instead of the $1,285 the local Kinetico service company was trying charge for just the rebuild and resin! Unfortunately Kinetico dealerships are privately owned, so you are at their mercy if they are the only dealer in your area. One thing they don't tell you is that you can use any service dealer you want by mailing your valve to them, or ordering the part you need!

Anyone with a question about my rebuild feel free to leave me a private message. I'm not an expert on water softeners by any means, but I learned alot about them during this experience.
Beebow

Old 01-23-06, 01:59 PM
Beebow,

I am glad that things worked out for you and you were able to put together the softener by yourself. You will be able to have an endless supply of softened water from now on. It wasn't that hard, was it?

I was happy to offer you advice and let you know that these things are not impossible to work on. Just use a high quality salt and change filters when recommended.

Keep me posted.
Andy

Old 01-25-06, 12:18 AM
Unbelievable

As a Water Treatment professional, I can not stand the tactics that these companies employ to suck money out of yout bank account. If it's a $25 repair, that's what it is, and I'm not going to try to tell you otherwise. Kinetico thinks that they are so amazingly superior to all others when the only difference is the fact that it is powered by water flow. The system does the same thing as all the others. Their commercials on the radio state that you don't have to use salt. That is not true. Whether you use sodium chloride or potassium chloride, you are still using a salt. The technology has been around since the late 30s or early 40s. It is no different today than it was back then.

Old 01-25-06, 06:34 PM
It was very simple to assemble Andy. Actually everything about the unit is pretty straight forward. I checked my water hardness with a strip today and it matched the 0 level color.

Capt Wally,
I'm the same way with repairs. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for service. Unfortunately our localKinetico dealer is one of the bad examples out there. I couldn't find complaints on the net about Kinetico, but found a total of four for all Kinetico dealers. All four were for our local dealer in Phoenix. Not product complaints; service complaints. The dealer in Tucson is a whole different story. Sraight up, honest, and reasonably priced.

Old 01-26-06, 07:43 AM
Beebow,

I’m sure you will have years and years of uninterrupted service with your softener. Many satisfied customers make confident recommendations. It’s good to know that the product is highly tested and certified. But you, after all, have to be the final judge.

“As you might have guessed all softeners are equal...just some are more equal than others.” beebow, would you say the only difference is water power?

That’s OK, Capt. Wally, the water treatment industry and the equipment meant to handle a most precious commodity is a little more complex than the average person might understand. There are quite a few differences in nearly all softeners and some are vastly different. I used to say the same thing about mountain bikes...boy, was I wrong!

In the end, education, a keen desire to see things objectively and open mindedly, and being reassured in considering actual testing and certification by qualified organizations can help most mature consumers to draw sound conclusions as to the direction of their purchases, regardless of the item.

Technically, potassium chloride is a ‘mineral salt’. What I imagine the ads refer to is sodium chloride, or commonly known as “table salt”. Nobody would sprinkle potassium chloride on there french fries. These ads are probably aimed at those that have been placed on sodium-restricted diets by a professional health care personnel. Now, there is such a thing as ‘salt free’ softener but I’m talking about a whole different technology.

Andy

Old 02-09-06, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the link!

For those visitors from the Slusser site link please feel free to pm me with any questions about my Kinetico system. I assume that the link has been made so that I can clear up some of the innacurate/incomplete information others have posted concerning Kinetico. Great sytem, great company. I'm not in the water treatment business so I don't have anything to gain by making positive statements about this system. I just like to reciprocate by sharing my experiences with other DIY members.

Old 02-27-11, 12:12 PM
Hello,
I have a 5 year old ( to me) kinetico 60 system. I would like to replace the resin. There seems to be a lot of types and add-ins for resin. Any advice would be appreciated. Especially someone from my area ( same type of well water). Also, any tricks to disassembling the system. Do you add the resin when the tanks are horizontal so the pick-up tube can be inserted all the way or what?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Old 02-27-11, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Changing resin is easy. Put the unit on bypass and depressize the unit. Remove the pins holding the bypass to the unit and seperate. Remove one of the pins hold the tanks together. Slightly rock the tanks while pushing apart. Place both connecting tubes in the base of tank and tap the loosen. Do the same for the other tank. Once the valve and remote base are off the tanks, remove the distributor tube. Place the end of a hose on the distributor tube with water running. Pull up on the distributor. Dump out old resin. Place distributor in tank after taping up open end to prevent resin from getting in tube. Pour in resin and reassemble.

Old 02-27-11, 03:25 PM
Thanks Biemech,

Anyone have any suggestions on resin type?

Old 02-27-11, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by biermech View Post
Place both connecting tubes in the base of tank and tap the loosen. Do the same for the other tank. Once the valve and remote base are off the tanks, remove the distributor tube.
Becareful not to hit the tube too hard asw it may break the base connecting ports---then you're stuck and have to replace base. Light taps near the base untill they start to move slightly. Then they should spin off.

Check tanks for slimey surface. If so, put in a cup of bleach and fill with water and let sit for a few hours, and then empty and flush.

Actually you can fill the tanks with resin and wiggle the riser tubes down. Add a little water the lossen it up. There should be 15" from the top of the resin to the top of the tank (freeboard). Carefully inspect riser tubes for cracks or splits large enough to let resin pass through.

Use silicone grease to redo all orings. Refill tanks slowly and manually cycle the valves untill air is out...maybe a couple for times.

Andy Christensen

Old 02-27-11, 07:06 PM
any suggestions on resin type or where to buy?

Old 02-27-11, 07:11 PM
Anyone have comments on this stuff? This is an additive not the entire media, right?

KDF 55 Process Medium is a high-purity copper-zinc alloy. When used in a water treatment unit, it undergoes a chemical process known as redox. Redox is short for oxidation-reduction, which is a chemical reaction where electrons are transferred between molecules. In some cases, such as free chlorine, this transfer results in the formation of benign substances, such as chloride in this case, which then passes through the filter. In a similar way, copper, lead, mercury, and other heavy metals react to plate out onto the medium?s surface effectively being removed from the water supply. KDF 55 Process Medium is so effective that it removes up to 98% of inorganic water-soluble heavy metals that are a concern to many public health officials and many consumers.

Old 02-28-11, 08:53 AM
KDF-55 (and -85) are excellent choices for some certian water conditions and equipment capacities. It does have amny fine attributes but must be well understood and applied correctly, or you will be very disappointed.

Many companies have used KDF but misapplied it and the results were disappointing. It is a mix of finely ground copper and zinc--two very heavy substances. Backwashing flow rates becomes the biggest issue in keeping the media working for its expected duration. Without adequate flow rate, frequency, and length of time, the media will degrade and even become 'solid', thus: useless. It is also one of the most expensive media used in filtration.

How would you consider using KDF in your case?

This media is recylable.

Old 02-28-11, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Becareful not to hit the tube too hard asw it may break the base connecting ports---then you're stuck and have to replace base. Light taps near the base untill they start to move slightly. Then they should spin off. Andy Christensen
Good point Andy. Thanks
P.S. You never responded to my e-mail so I take it the answer is no?

Old 02-28-11, 08:53 PM
Not sure about the email...resend it, please. Sorry.

Old 03-01-11, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure I need something like the KDF or not. When I read that it could reduce heavy metals I thought, It's worth a shot. I'm assuming the KDF is something you mix with the regular resin right?
I'm ready to replace the resin in my system and want to do it 'right'. There's just too many choices out there for a homeowner to know exactly what to use. I wasn't satisfied the last time I used the kinetico people in my area, but learning this stuff on my own isn't easy either.

Do you think it's worth having a different water company test my water and recommend a resin combination? OR are there really that many choices?
Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it has to be.

Thanks again,
Greg

Old 03-01-11, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
How would you consider using KDF in your case?
As an 'additive'. spread throughout the resin

Old 03-01-11, 05:50 PM
KDF-85 is designed toward well water applications as it helps remove Iron and Hydrogen Sulfide. 4lbs of KDF is sufficient for most residential water softeners. Any purolite or dow softener resin will work. A fine mesh resin may help get a little more capacity and help with Iron removal. Just curious as to why you are replacing the resin after only 5 years.
I hope this helps.
RJ

Old 03-01-11, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by RJh2o View Post
Just curious as to why you are replacing the resin after only 5 years.
I hope this helps.
RJ
I bought the unit used. I believe the resin is between 12-15 years old.

Thanks again,
Greg

Old 08-09-11, 05:43 PM
Kinetico Model C 50 needs rebuilding

My Kinetico model C50 started dumping resin into the water lines. I immediately bypassed the system and called our local Kinetico dealer. He quoted me a price of $1,200 to $1,500 to rebuild it.

I am mechanically inclined and I am sure I can do this myself for much less, unfortunately I have never worked on a water softener before. Anyone know where I can get a repair manual? How about parts, will my local Kinetico dealer have them? Any advice or guidance is very much appreciated.