Filter, before or after pressure tank?

Old 02-23-06, 07:17 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Filter, before or after pressure tank?

I get my water from a spring, I have a deep well pump, it pumps the water 1200 ft to the house (head of about 80 ft). I am wondering if I should have the water run though my whole house filters before the pressure tank, or after the tank.
I'm thinking: Before the tank d/t sediment collecting in the pressure tank.
Please let me know your ideas.
Thanks
Patrick

Old 02-24-06, 02:45 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do not put a sediment filter BEFORE the pressure tank. As these kinds of filters 'fill-up', they reduce pressure and may even completely shut off water supply to the tank sometimes in a day or so. Your pressure switch, which would record 'low pressure' will signal to the pump to keep pumping.

Some types of water treatment devices can go go before the PT but not a sediment filter. You won't get any significant accummulation of dirt or sediment in the tank.

Since you are using surface water, additional water treatment will be needed if intended for normal household use. Your initial filtration device must be able to provide long service with a minimal of service or replacement. A backwashing filter with a durable media will serve you very well. Some backwashing filters using a twin-tank design are available which actually backwash with filtered water.

This may well have to be followed by a reliable disinfection system and then a drinking water system. Surface water treatment is more difficult than typical well water and may require extensive equipment but it can be done and provide excellent water. Accurate water analysis is a must before water treatment can be responsibly recommended.

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: